JD 160 starter problems

tink5610

Threads
I have a old JD 160 sometimes the starter will engage a the mower will start and run fine other times you have to tap the starter while holding the key in the start position and it will start and run fine no rhyme or reason when it happens any ideas what’s going on would be appreciate.
Thanks tink5610

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Possibly starter bendix gear not engaging flywheel teeth, worn out starter. For Safety, remove negative ground cable from battery & position away from battery. Remove starter & take to any auto parts store & ask them if they can please test starter draw. This should not cost you anything. If starter fails test keep it for a core when purchasing a new starter. Post Engine Make, Model & Serial Numbers from Engine so we can help you locate new starter & shipping quickly for best price.

tink5610

Threads
Thanks Mark have replaced the starter still same problem sometimes you can move the wires around the switch and it will crank and start but not always,it’s driving me crazy and have been dealing with it for years just finally trying to get it fixed.Engine is a kawasaki serial #FB460-181430 FB460V l think it’s a 12.5 horsepower not sure
Thanks

tink5610

Threads
Thanks Mark,
Looks like this is what i need

tink5610

Threads
Mark I bought the relay local dealer actually had it in stock, installed it problem solved should have done it years ago haha.
Thanks again

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Glad it worked out & thanks for posting results tink5610, Mark

D

Deleted member 97405

Glad you got it fixed. Here's why the relay was needed. As the system and switches age, you get a voltage drop across the aged contacts. By the time the current gets through all the switches and to the starter solenoid, you could have lost a few volts. This is why the solenoid just 'clicks'. By installing the relay, you're using that lower voltage to engage the relay, which simply sends power straight from the battery cable to the starter solenoid. Thought you'd like to know the 'why' and 'how' to what you just did!

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Glad you got it fixed. Here's why the relay was needed. As the system and switches age, you get a voltage drop across the aged contacts. By the time the current gets through all the switches and to the starter solenoid, you could have lost a few volts. This is why the solenoid just 'clicks'. By installing the relay, you're using that lower voltage to engage the relay, which simply sends power straight from the battery cable to the starter solenoid. Thought you'd like to know the 'why' and 'how' to what you just did!
Thanks Will1988, are you still a Technician at John Deere?