Repairs JD 115 new battery still won't start

loaf88

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello
I just replaced the battery in my john deere 115 and it still will not start. when I turn the key the solenoid still clicks but nothing else happens. I checked the voltage on the battery and its 12.5. I have the parking brake engaged and was sitting on the seat. any suggestions or direction would be greatly appreciated.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Hello
I just replaced the battery in my john deere 115 and it still will not start. when I turn the key the solenoid still clicks but nothing else happens. I checked the voltage on the battery and its 12.5. I have the parking brake engaged and was sitting on the seat. any suggestions or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Remove the spark plug & try again.
If the engine turns over check the valve lash.
1) Most starters do not have the balls to turn the engine past TDC without some sort of decompression.
2) if you have a gravity eed fuel tank & bad fuel cut off there is a chance the cylinder is full of fuel which of course will not compress.

If the starter still just clicks run a jumper directly from the - on the battery to a good earth point ( I like the fuel drain plug ) and try again the earth return on mowers take a pounding.
If it still just clicks then try a second jumper from the + on the battery to the + on the starter if it spins then check the thick power leads for a bad terminal or joint.

What you are doing is bypassing every thing till the starter spins.
You then take the jumpers back down the line to find where the problem is.
Naturally if the starter does not spin when connected directly to thte battery the starter itself is the problem.
They get full of crud & because the contacts ar at the bottom all of the crap accumulates in the sameplace you are trying to pump mega amps through.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hello

19 HP B&S. So it looks like you didn't need a battery. ( Start on the small things first.) Are ALL the battery cable ends clean and tight? Check the starter solenoid. Look for ant loose or disconnected wires. Check the voltage at the started when you try to start it. Check for a bad battery cable. Just sounds to me like you are loosing amperage between the battery and the starter someplace. Like I said check all the small cheap things first, I see it so many times on this forum that a mower doesn't start so they just start replacing parts that aren't needed.

loaf88

Forum Newbie
Threads
19 HP B&S. So it looks like you didn't need a battery. ( Start on the small things first.) Are ALL the battery cable ends clean and tight? Check the starter solenoid. Look for ant loose or disconnected wires. Check the voltage at the started when you try to start it. Check for a bad battery cable. Just sounds to me like you are loosing amperage between the battery and the starter someplace. Like I said check all the small cheap things first, I see it so many times on this forum that a mower doesn't start so they just start replacing parts that aren't needed.

Thanks for the suggestions. I truly appreciate them.

Mikel1

Threads
Like reynoldston has said make sure your connections are clean & tight.

JD is best

Threads
Hello

Make sure your PTO is off and also make sure all your safety switches work.