IS2600Z Starting problems

neighborbill

Threads
Yesterday I was going to start up my cutter. Turned the key and every thing went dead. No lights, nothing. I thought that a fuse went for what ever reason. Checked all fuses. Wasn't the problem. I open up the control panel to look inside. For the heck of it, I pulled the connector to the key switch off and put it back on. To my surprise, the cutter came alive when I turned the key. Now I had lights (oil and batt, glow plug) but no start up when I went to the spring loaded switch. Nothing.
I can start the diesel by jumping the starter and turning the key switch to the run position. But, then the oil light stays on. While is was running I tried engaging the blades. Pulled the switch and the cutter went dead.
This machine was purchased last Nov 2022. It has about 21 hours on it .
Obviously, it should be under warranty and I'll need to take it in. I was going to try and fix myself thinking that it is probably the key switch at fault. But with the oil light remaining on that's a whole new problem. Don't want to take any chance on low oil pressure and screwing up my Diesel.
I still would like to know what heck is going on. This thing is brand new.
Some sites say that the oil filter might be plugged or low on oil. It isn't low and how could the oil filter get plugged with only 21 hours on it.
Last but not least, I believe that trying the electric clutch for the cutters kills the machine because the oil switch is telling something called "Shut Down Module" to operate. Doing it's job.
I'm open to comments, questions, and or answers
I just don't understand what happened. Key switch bad? Oil sender bad? Shut down module? Find that hard to believe as the problems.

JayD159

Forum Newbie
Threads
I don't really have an answer for you unfortunately but just wanted to comment on the 'why am I having problems already, this thing is new?' Bit. It seems since the pandemic, things have doubled in price and are a 1/4 of the quality. Quality control is next to non existent. Manufacturers are scrambling for suppliers on parts that were otherwise readily available and the list goes on. It seems every manufacturer of almost any product is dealing with this. Mowers, cars, trucks, atv's, snowmobiles......I can appreciate it being terribly frustrating spending a small fortune on a mower and having silly stuff like switches and sensors act up and leave you dead in the water. That's a sweet machine. I have a 2100z with the 28hp Briggs efi. It's awesome but would prefer the diesel like yours. Let the dealer sort it out and hopefully that's the last of the bugs. It's the new world we are all unfortunately faced with.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I agree, have your dealer figure it out. You can cause more problems if you are not experienced in electrical problems and void all warranty’s.

neighborbill

Threads
I've had a lot of training and experience with electricity, but if you can't find test points or a way to get at a connection, trouble shooting is almost impossible. That is what happen here with harnesses and wires you can't get at. It doesn't help when the manufacture gives you a diagram for your unit and your unit doesn't follow the schematic. Also, relays are usually marked on the pins. 30, 86, 87 etc... telling you witch is the coil, and NC and NO . This one has potted relays with no marking. You have to guess. Speaking of guessing. Guess where these relays come from. Ferris makes (assembles) here but it looks like many parts aren't.
So here I sit waiting for the dealer to do what it can. Funny, when I dropped it off they knew exactly what the problem was. Right.
It is still in the shop. Possibly because they have money coming in at their rates and not warranty rates (per hour).
You would have loved to have heard the technician telling me that it's water in the key switch. When I told him that it was in a pole barn all this time, he said to me "what about when it was at the dealer where i bought it from, probably outside in the weather". I almost asked him to look at his lot. All the cutters were outside lined up. Like no water from this location was going to get into the switch. Only water from where I bought the machine. Sales department would have strung him up if they heard what he said. Anyway i knew better then to challange what might have been me technician working on my machine.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Been there and done that. On top of that most of the younger techs have no understanding of basic electrical troubleshooting, just plug and play. My experience with a unit like yours you need the patience of Job and a diagram as close as possible to your unit. When I can’t find the proper diagram I print out two or three as close as possible and then draw on experience to be my friend. I’ll see what I can find for you for future reference, if you can get me the unit’s number off the ID tag when you get it back.

neighborbill

Threads
Thanks Rivets
Unit is 5901929 Serial 4002184515
I see that my dealer where I purchased , never gave me the parts book. I got it on line from Farris. Funny , that's where the schematic is found.
I wonder if the book that I was suppose to get would have been accurate.
It would have been nice to have a picture or something to tell you where these components are located (like starting relay). I didn't know one could hide things so well in a small space.

neighborbill

Threads
The diagram that I found shows a starter relay. But I couldn't find it. That in turn engages the starter solenoid. I found at least 3 relays. two of them have no markings on them for spade connections You have to go by the color of wires going into the relay.
Assuming the colors are correct.
Thanks for the https.

neighborbill

Threads
This link show my unit number diagram. Starter solenoid upper right corner of schematic.
Thanks I can use the rest of the pages for parts and part numbers when needed.
I'll be study'in this one carefully.
Thanks again.

neighborbill

Threads
I was going to show the link! I was there when I sent it, but now I see it is not.
Anyway, it's the second one not the first Ends with "lookup#"