Is there an easy way to get to the idle/throttle stop screw?

Nitrohawk

Threads
  • / Is there an easy way to get to the idle/throttle stop screw?
The shop manual for the HRX217HYA says that idle speed should be 1,700 rpm with + or - 150 rpm. My tach shows the idle speed to be about 1850-1900 rpm with throttle lever at 'SLOW' detent. According to the manual I need to adjust the 'throttle stop screw' to achieve the correct rpm. My three questions are:

1. Is there an easy way to get to the screw (see attachment)? The diagram shows an inserted screwdriver but there is not enough room to do this! What components do I need to take off to get to it? I can see it behind the air filter housing but can't get the screwdriver to reach it.
  2. Will adjusting the idle speed mess up or change the fast/running speed when the throttle lever is in 'fast' position and roto-stop engaged which should be at about 3100 rpm?
  3. Should I leave the idle speed alone and not worry about it?
Idle screw.jpg

Last edited:

MowermanUK

Forum Newbie
Threads
You need to use long screwdriver at least 12" long to get a decent attempt at idle adjust, I've found that using a 1/4" drive handle with a wobbly head extension bar with a screwdriver socket on the end works quite well too, you can get a reasonable eye line to the screw area from the front while feeling up from just behind the carb to guide the screw in place, practice when the engine is cold and you'll get a good feel of what you need to do while it's running

Nitrohawk

Threads
You need to use long screwdriver at least 12" long to get a decent attempt at idle adjust, I've found that using a 1/4" drive handle with a wobbly head extension bar with a screwdriver socket on the end works quite well too, you can get a reasonable eye line to the screw area from the front while feeling up from just behind the carb to guide the screw in place, practice when the engine is cold and you'll get a good feel of what you need to do while it's running

Sounds good.