Blades Is there a real advantage to the high lift blade?

tanner9595

Threads
  • / Is there a real advantage to the high lift blade?
In the past I've used the craftsman high lift blades because I like bagging every thing I cut, too include the fall leaves, but I find the stock mulching blades seem to do a good job of picking up and bagging grass and leaves as well. Not sure the cost of the high lift blades are worth it or doing that much better of a job. Any body else out there finding any real differences between the two blades.

gfp55

Threads
I don't mulch so I can't compare the two side by side. If the blades you are using are mulching blades and they are doing the job then stick with them. I would go with the blades that are the best in price and do the job the best, if they are the mulching blades then you got the best of both worlds.

tanner9595

Threads
Seems these days most new lawn mowers come with mulching blades. I sharpen all my blades both mulching and high lift blades, I'm no scientist as to which one is better for my purpose, but there is more cutting edge on a mulching blade and in my want of thinking that's what counts. It just gets to complicated, little reviews or supporting documentation to really make a good discussion one over the other. I think most of this stuff marketed for us works all on theory, little testing due to cost, science not at its best.

tigercat

Threads
I don't think the difference is all that much. If the blades are spinning and sharp either will work. The mulching blade has a longer sharp edge, but the grass is mostly cut on the forward tip of the blade anyway. I would bet it's just another product to spend your money on. On a residental machine, the thing that makes a mulching deck is the cover over the deck. The grass can't discharge so it gets cut up again and again.
On a commerical machine they add a few baffles under the deck, then add the cover. The blades are the same I think. When I need blades, I look for the best deal. The mulching description is not a must have for me.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
There is a reason Snapper made available the high-er lift wings for their RE Riders that bolt on the blade. They work better than standard lift and certainly better than a combination blade.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
A high lift blade sucks the gras up off the ground and only cuts the grass one time then spits it out.

A common mulch blade will cut the grass a couple times before spiting it out.
If you use a plug the grass stays under the deck and gets cut up many times before falling to the ground.

If you use a after market mulch blade like a gator blade it cuts the gases the throws it back towards the center of the blade to get cut 4 or 5 times.

As far as what blade gives the best cut all depends on the grass you are cutting and the mower you are using.

A high lift blade is best for bagging ( why anyone bags I have no clue )
I use high lift on tall thick grass.
1 it only cuts once and the grass does not clog up in the deck.
2 they throw the grass further away from the mower.

On my weekly cuts I use the gator blades and side discharge.

The blades cut the grass up very fine.
I discharge because it spreads the grass out rather then just drop clumps.

If you use any type mulching blade and bag you are still leaving clippings.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
There is a reason Snapper made available the high-er lift wings for their RE Riders that bolt on the blade. They work better than standard lift and certainly better than a combination blade.

Best thing ever made.

They also made them for push mowers.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
We cut a lot of grass. Most of it on a bi-weekly schedule. We find using a high lift blade makes a better discharge plus raising the deck to the top and running over heavy clippings makes them disappear better.