Is the Stihl Motomix 50:1 Fuel worth it?

upupandaway

Threads
It’s pretty expensive. ...I usually buy TruFuel or VP.

Trufuel is highway robbery. I mean $7 for a quart or in that ballpark??? Just buy the Stihl oil if money is so critical.

(I personally don't have a favorite on my 70's Stihl FS80's and 60's homelite chainsaw etc and see no scratches on the pistons.)

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Trufuel is highway robbery. I mean $7 for a quart or in that ballpark??? Just buy the Stihl oil if money is so critical.

(I personally don't have a favorite on my 70's Stihl FS80's and 60's homelite chainsaw etc and see no scratches on the pistons.)
If someone doesn’t use a gallon of mix per year, it doesn’t make sense to have mixed gas sitting around from year to year.

upupandaway

Threads
If someone doesn’t use a gallon of mix per year, it doesn’t make sense to have mixed gas sitting around from year to year.
I use about 1 gal each year(at home, less at other rentals). I am fine with it. 2cycle oil has gas treatment in it.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I’ve found that I can mix any leftover 2-cycle fuel with fresh fuel for my snow blower.

mikehouse

Threads
For professional landscapers and repair shops, canned 2 stroke mix eats into the profit margin. So, mixing their own fuel is much cheaper. For the homeowner, who uses small volumes of 2 stroke mix, the canned fuel is more convenient and there’s not much sitting around to go bad.
EXACTLY Mparr.

Craiger

Threads
Buy it only in tubes for one gallon on ethanol fuel.
You talk about using ethanol fuel.Sorry to disagree. I think you'd be much better off with non-ethanol fuel. In my area, a handful of auto gas stations sell non-ethanol gas. It's pricey at a dollar or more extra per gallon but when you add your own 2 cycle oil to this gas, it's MUCH cheaper than buying premixed 2 cycle non-EtOH fuel. I use a tiny plastic cap from a discarded pump sprayer bottle into which I measured 19 milliliters using a cheap Harbor Freight one pound digital scale and distilled water. 19.0 grams H20 = 19.0 ml. . Being a chemist, I love the Metric system ;-) Then I marked the 19 ml level with a permanent ultra fine marker. This is enough to mix one quart of 2 cycle fuel at a time. If you need more, you could do same thing with a larger container and mix one gallon at a time. Or even bigger and mix 2 to 5 gallons at a time if you are commercial. People make mixing 2 cycle fuel into more of a challenge than it needs to be.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
No it's not worth anything.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Craig, if that works for you, go for it. I recommend using non-ethanol fuel to customers who let their fuel sit for long periods of time. I use my method because I use my fuel up in about 6 weeks and have no problems with any of my equipment.