is it worth the cost/hassle installing new valve seats and valves?

350ss

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / is it worth the cost/hassle installing new valve seats and valves?
craftsman model 37068 push mower with briggs and stratton platinum engine (190cc i think)

exhaust valve seat doesn't want to stay in. when in place, it runs fine but next time i try to start cold it falls out of place.

I put it in place with a socket/hammer and staked around the outside to help keep it in place. maybe i did not stake it correctly or the valve seat itself is just to worn out at this point.

wondering if it is wort the trouble/cost to install new valves and valve seats. the mower is almost 8 yrs old so maybe i got my moneys worth already. I just hate throwing stuff out that has 90% usable parts.

the valve seats are in the main engine case rather than the head.

if i replace the seats and valves with new will they stay in place? or did i use my one shot by having already staked around the valve. (or another way to say it would be can i install a new seat and re-stake the seat)

you're knowledge and thoughts are appreciated, thanks in advance

-Max

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You can centre punch the seat to raise some metal then shrink the seat in and stake it .
To do the job properly you either have to key it in or run a bead around the seat base & remachine it .003" undersize to get the correct crush to hold it back in.
I think there is a Devon that will take the heat but considering the time & effort involved , not really worth the effort on a small cheap engine.
OTOH if you can weld look for a trashed engine with a hole in the case weld that case & transfer your internals , same story for a broken crank etc.
I hate tossing out anything that can be fixed too

350ss

Forum Newbie
Threads
thanks for the replies

appreciate the pn for the shortblock...i was looking for that but couldn't figure out which one to use. gives me something to go off of, so thanks!

i might just give it a shot for the new valve and seat although that $20-30 might be better put towards the shortblock...i guess thats where i'm stuck.

i had a similar thought about welding where it had been already staked to "start over" but have a feeling it would warp the surface more than help the staking process.

appreciate the ideas...gives me something to mull over.

Romore

Threads
Short blocks are no longer available for the L-head engines. If the seat won't stay in after being staked you have a parts donor.

350ss

Forum Newbie
Threads
hmmm.... is there a newer motor that would bolt in it's place?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Take a look at this one here is the model, 126M02-0120
It's very similar to the Quantum.

350ss

Forum Newbie
Threads
great, thanks again!