Is it new clutch time?

Psychlopath

Threads
Mower: 33114S
Engine: Briggs Model 281707 Type 0029-01 Code 89072310

On my new-to-me rear engine, everything seems to work reasonably well; but it seems about 50-50 if the thing will actually move while in reverse or not.

The selector lever has never (for me) stayed in reverse, but I'm not sure that this isn't a safety feature and how it's supposed to be or if it's a symptom of a problem. The gear selector lever will easily go into the reverse position, but the actual engagement is what's iffy. With the selector in reverse, during the times it doesn't start moving on it's own, I can give a push off the ground and feel that it is trying to back up by how easily I can push it backwards.

I've adjusted the clutch-disk spacing according to diagrams from an online manual for my model provided by a user here and that took it from zero reverse to the current situation. The driving portion of the clutch is smooth with some minor striations that coincide with the forward speed selector notches and the driven portion, with the rubber ring, looks to be in good shape with no material missing; the rubber was glazed looking at the time of adjustment, but I cleaned it up with emory cloth at the time of the adjustment.

The trouble in reverse comes mostly (but not always) during mowing, especially when there may be a little dew on the grass, so maybe what I'm seeing is normal for water on the clutch. There is no burning smell or squeal that I would think would be associated with major slipping.

I have no trouble with any forward speeds. First speed engages fine with or without the clutch but seems VERY grabby if I push the clutch/brake pedal, select the first forward speed and release the clutch/brake pedal; no matter how slowly I release the pedal, it will jump forward.

Before buying anything new, I wanted to get advice from here; maybe this is just how these things work.