Export thread

Is a Dixon Walkabout a good mower?

Q

Quality Lawn & Landscape

I am 16 and I just started a lawn service. I am wondering what is the best way to get accounts fast? I am ready to work hard so just tell me what works.
Thanks! :)

K

KennyV

Hello & WELCOME to LMF...

That is a good mower, should do everything you might want...
Is yours a 36" or 48" ... What engine? Is it belt or Hydro drive??

Your best way to grow is word of mouth from your satisfied customers. This time of year you may be able to pick up some snow removal jobs... ??

Good to have you with us on these forums... :smile:KennyV

Q

Quality Lawn & Landscape

Ok it's a 2004 36" belt drive and I got it on craigslist from a home owner and it isn't used a whole lot. It has a slight oil leak and I'm going to try to fix it. It works great but I can't find a bag for it... Any help where to find one?

Also thanks for the tip! What I have done so far is get some business cards and post cards with my name, number, what we do, and more on them. I was thinking about going door to door? Is that a good idea?

Ric

Ric

Try putting an add on Craiglist in the Services section under farm and garden, it worked for me when I started. Do a good job and then word of mouth will take over. Like Kenny said that will be your best advertisement but Craiglist will help get you going. Does your mower have a single or a V-twin engine?

Q

Quality Lawn & Landscape

Ok thanks! And i think it's a v-twin but I'm not sure.

Ric

Ric

Ok thanks! And i think it's a v-twin but I'm not sure.

The Dixon 36" model walk-behind should have a Kohler 15hp Command Pro single cylinder with the 5-speed Peerless manual transmission. The 48" has I believe the 18hp Command Pro V-Twin.

Q

Quality Lawn & Landscape

Ok yes u r right. Sorry about that. So do you have this mower?

Ric

Ric

Ok yes u r right. Sorry about that. So do you have this mower?

No I don't have that mower, I have seen it though. I have the G1336 Cub Cadet with the Kawasaki V-twin motor with the 5-speed Peerless manual transmission, the set up is basically the same. If your using that mower for or in your business the only problem you may have is it may not be fast enough to do the job you want done, I not sure but I believe it only has a three mph ground speed.

Q

Quality Lawn & Landscape

Oh ok cool. Now I've been told Dixon didn't make grass catchers for the Walkabout so do you know if I could get one that would work?

Ric

Ric

Oh ok cool. Now I've been told Dixon didn't make grass catchers for the Walkabout so do you know if I could get one that would work?

I really don't know where you could get a bagger for that mower, you mite take a look at the OEM-590-522 Bagger, it fits my G1336, you mite make it work on yours I don't know. You can contact Morsales they mite can give you some info on what you're looking for. I'll keep looking around and I'll check with my Dealer and see if he can find you something. Send Morsales an Email at the address below and see if you get anything back.

Phone: 479-824-4363
Fax: 479-824-4187
Email: morsales@pgtc.com
Located Northwest Corner of
the Square inLincoln, Arkansas.
P.O. Box 226
Lincoln, AR 72744

Q

Quality Lawn & Landscape

Ok I will. Thanks!!! :)

Ric

Ric

Something you mite want to do is read the Bag or No bag thread here, you may find some info and opinions there on bagging. Something else you may want to consider is using a good set of mulching blades when you mow, like Gator Blades. They can make a lot of difference in your bagging needs and they're a lot cheaper than a bagging system would be.
How many clients or lawns are you planning to cut in a day.

Q

Quality Lawn & Landscape

Oh ok thanks. Sorry I'm kinda new at this. Haha and yea right now I have a set of high lift blades and a set of gator blades... They cross each other to get a better cut I guess. That's how they were when I got it. Also I was thinking about mowing 5 lawns a day, 5 days a week... That's my goal anyway.

C

C&R Lawn Care

Try to mow as much as you can a day because you never no when it's going to rain.

High lift blades are nice with or without a bagger I have them on my zero turn.

I started out with a 36 inch toro wb and it work great for the first couple years. I start out with 15 accounts with that. Took a while to get them ( lots are 1-2 acres) cut.

Q

Quality Lawn & Landscape

Ok thanks for the advice! The lawns that I'm planning on doing are like 1 acre or less so I should be able to do quite a few in a day. Now you said you started with 15 accounts. How long did it take you to get those?

C

C&R Lawn Care

Those 15 I started out with where family ad friends I now have about 35 mix of Commerical and res

It's been 5 years. My comm are large scale like apartments and factory's

It's all about word of mouth and do you stand behind your work. Really

Q

Quality Lawn & Landscape

Ok thanks. And yes I do stand behind my work. On the flyers I had printed I put if they were not satisfied with my work then I would "make it right" as in give a discount up to 50% off the job. Does that sound ok?