IS 1500Z and COLD TEMPS!

BubbaSam

Threads
Hello to all...
I have a Ferris IS 1500Z, 52 inch Cut, Kawasaki V2 25 hp Zero Turn. It's been a good machine over the few years I have owned it. However, it only seems to start in warm weather. Now that winter has set in, I wanted to do my final leaf cleanup and lower my cut. BUT... NO start! I put a charger on the battery to be sure there was enough juice, It turned over slower than usual it seemed. I took out the air filters and gave it a good shot of starting fluid and it STILL didn't catch. This not only happened this year but last year about this time as well. I might add that the mower has been serviced a couple months ago with new gas filter, air filters, oil filter, oil and plugs. When it runs... it runs well and when it warm out... it starts well. BTW... I keep it covered and in a 3 bay carriage shed (open faced but with a tarp door).

So bottom line... does anyone out there that owns this model have the same issues? Is it normal to have a Cold Natured Ferris? Am I missing something here?

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have for me.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Not firing on starting fluid leans toward a loss of spark. I would pull the plugs and reconnect them to the wire and ground the plug on something metal on the engine like the head, etc, and have somebody crank the engine and watch for spark. Wouldn't be the first Kawasaki I have come across that wouldn't start because of moisture inclusion into the ignition modules caused by high humidity which you could be causes by covering it.

BubbaSam

Threads
Actually I recently spoke to an employee at a large Ferris dealership. I commented about the problem to him. He looked at me and said "It's a Kawasaki isn't it?" I said yes, then said "Is this a well known problem?". He shook his head and said "Yes."

So... is there anyone out there who has experienced the same conditions?