Is 12.6 volts enough to start a mower?

rigoletto

Threads
People,

now, I have another problem- was testing my MTD rider mower to see if the hesitation problem went away (other thread I started on stalling mower), and now mower starter turns, but not with the usual vigor (steady cranking, then starts). It just turns "weakly". No start now. Batery is from 4/2010, so I got a of of mileage from that one! But, I did measure and get 12.6v. Could battery be bad?? I know theres a difference between volts and cranking amps(?)

Oh- 12.6v also at the cable terminals, not just battery posts....)

Thanks!

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
People,

now, I have another problem- was testing my MTD rider mower to see if the hesitation problem went away (other thread I started on stalling mower), and now mower starter turns, but not with the usual vigor (steady cranking, then starts). It just turns "weakly". No start now. Batery is from 4/2010, so I got a of of mileage from that one! But, I did measure and get 12.6v. Could battery be bad?? I know theres a difference between volts and cranking amps(?)

Oh- 12.6v also at the cable terminals, not just battery posts....)

Thanks!

You are the one to say it, difference between volts and amps. Bad cable, switch, or wires you can get your 12 volts but not enough amps. Its like a 1in water pipe plugged up to 1/8 in, you will get water but not enough.

rigoletto

Threads
You are the one to say it, difference between volts and amps. Bad cable, switch, or wires you can get your 12 volts but not enough amps. Its like a 1in water pipe plugged up to 1/8 in, you will get water but not enough.

Thanks, rey. So, maybe I will try aplying 12v directly to the starter and seee what happens- eliminating possible circuit problems......be right back-

rigoletto

Threads
Thanks, rey. So, maybe I will try aplying 12v directly to the starter and seee what happens- eliminating possible circuit problems......be right back-

OK, did this: removed my car battery and direct voltage to starter and cranked like new. (didnt start though, maybe flooded). Then, applied direct v from mower battery posts to starter and back to sluggish starter turning. I eliminated all circuits, so has to be battery, huh?

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Well it is a 4 year old battery... one is lucky to get 2 0r 3 years..... Take it up and they can do a "load" test.

rigoletto

Threads
Well it is a 4 year old battery... one is lucky to get 2 0r 3 years..... Take it up and they can do a "load" test.

Hmmm, sams club? Doubt they can do a load test. But, your point is good- 4 yrs old, probably not worth the headache- get new. Right- I never got 4 yrs out of a mower batt.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
well, I have jumped through a bunch of hoops before, just because an old battery showed over 12v, and wasted a lot of time.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
reread my #2 post. Nothing wrong with getting a new battery but I sure hope that is your problem and it fixes it? I will say I'm not 100% sure it will. Dirty grounds, poor connections, bad cables. Just make sure you check them things when you install the new battery. Good luck

rigoletto

Threads
well, I have jumped through a bunch of hoops before, just because an old battery showed over 12v, and wasted a lot of time.

good to know that. time to stop wasting time. 4 yrs is enough.

rigoletto

Threads
reread my #2 post. Nothing wrong with getting a new battery but I sure hope that is your problem and it fixes it? I will say I'm not 100% sure it will. Dirty grounds, poor connections, bad cables. Just make sure you check them things when you install the new battery. Good luck

I hope so too, rey. thanks. You guys are a huge help, in al my troubles!