Invasive Plants

outdoors Joe

Threads
I want to plant different types of mint, but I don't want it taking over the yard. I don't want to plant it in pots that sit above the ground, either. What are some techniques for planting invasive plants in the ground that will help contain them to one spot?

rekees

Threads
Mint can be tough to control. Are you sure you really want to risk it? If so, add a barrier in the ground around the mint plant to a depth of at least 12 inches. Some aluminum flashing or anything else that wont rust or rot might work?

Bessy

Threads
If you cut the bottom off a large pot and sink it into the ground and put the mint inside the pot it will keep the mint contained and it will not go elsewhere. It has worked for me for years now.

Homesteader

Threads
One man's invasive plant is another man's dream. I can't get my mint to thrive let alone become invasive. I had several kinds of mint but they all died out. Your secret please.

SallyA

Threads
I've always just planted mint in the ground and it's spread to places where I don't want it. I don't do anything special to it, but I do prepare my soil and add compost before I plant anything. I'm going to use the method of cutting the bottom off a large pt and sinking it into the ground, since it's already proven to work.

BGC

Threads
I have been thinking of planting mint also. All the information is really appreciated and any more will be too. I have been thinking about it for a while and think it is time to do something.