Intro and B & S query

Dizz

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi All,

Australian Newbie here, and long time Horizontal Shaft B&S user
Former part-time small engine tech at a Chainsaw & Lawn Mower centre (25-30 yrs ago whilst studying).

I've just bought a new mower for our little lawn in our new house. It's my first rotary after being exclusively a Scott Bonnar Cylinder mower user with B & S engines for since I was mowing my dad's lawn as a kid (with the exception of one Kirby)

Anyways, there are a few discrepancies in the new Mower manual's engine specs vs the included B&S manual (which covers 2 engines), so I'm trying to confirm which one is right.
The manual covers 90000 & 10000 series engines (140cc & 161cc)
I've emailed B&S, only to get a reply relating to a completely different engine.:confused2:

The Model Number is 100602 0187 H8

The specs i'm after is :

* Engine cc
* Torque
* Power (kw)
* DOV vs standard OHV.

The manuals state DOV and the pics show a DOV rocker cover, but the cover on my engine is stamped OHV. (From what I read, I understand there is a difference ?)

That model number gives no result on the B&S website (manual search).

The engine looks very much like the 700E series, with a slightly different cowl / cover.
700E Series™ DOV® | Briggs & Stratton Europe
(Note the specs for this link are missing :confused2:)

If anyone can shed any light or provide a link it'll be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Dizz

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
The manuals state DOV and the pics show a DOV rocker cover, but the cover on my engine is stamped OHV. (From what I read, I understand there is a difference ?)

It sure is something new to me. I looked it up on the web and you-tube shows but how it works. Still is a OHV engine but instead of push rods they went to a lever system. I guess time will tell if it works out OK or not.

Flintmotorsports

Threads
So if your model #s are right it is a 10000 series and the motor is a dov if found the parts # for the operators manual and the service manual
Here is the operator manual p/n 277099 and here is the service manual p/n 277527 I hope this info helps.

Dizz

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the replies.

I've since located the parts list for the 100000 Series engines, which shows a variety of different cosmetic differences in the engine covers , starter covers, mufflers etc.
http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/18kruFXRnfBhU7y.pdf

I also located a PDF of the manual :
http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/iorpFOJU0HFjhJvcv4.pdf

The Husqvarna manual lists the engine as a 700 Series, so maybe that was the red herring.
I was really beginning to think I had unwittingly bought the 140cc version, whereas it's advertised as 161cc.
Then again, the 700 Series shows blank specs on the B&S site.

Hmm, Chinese assembly hey ?....... that might explain the crooked B&S Sticker !! :confused2:
Maybe I should have spent the extra $$ on the 19" model.
(I chose the 18" due to the relatively small area, 2kg weight saving, and $100 price difference)
Hopefully it's just the external components that are assembled there and the internals are shipped pre-assembled.

It seems to work just fine - time will tell I suppose.

Thanks again for the input - others feel free to chip in with more if you have it :)

Dizz.

Dizz

Forum Newbie
Threads
So if your model #s are right it is a 10000 series and the motor is a dov if found the parts # for the operators manual and the service manual
Here is the operator manual p/n 277099 and here is the service manual p/n 277527 I hope this info helps.

Thanks for the reply - I actually misquoted that model number - it should have read 90000 & 100000 series

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks for the replies.

I've since located the parts list for the 100000 Series engines, which shows a variety of different cosmetic differences in the engine covers , starter covers, mufflers etc.
http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/18kruFXRnfBhU7y.pdf

I also located a PDF of the manual :
http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/iorpFOJU0HFjhJvcv4.pdf

The Husqvarna manual lists the engine as a 700 Series, so maybe that was the red herring.
I was really beginning to think I had unwittingly bought the 140cc version, whereas it's advertised as 161cc.
Then again, the 700 Series shows blank specs on the B&S site.

Hmm, Chinese assembly hey ?....... that might explain the crooked B&S Sticker !! :confused2:
Maybe I should have spent the extra $$ on the 19" model.
(I chose the 18" due to the relatively small area, 2kg weight saving, and $100 price difference)
Hopefully it's just the external components that are assembled there and the internals are shipped pre-assembled.

It seems to work just fine - time will tell I suppose.

Thanks again for the input - others feel free to chip in with more if you have it :)

Dizz.

You shouldn't have any problems with the DOV engine.

All manufacturers that produce in China usually have a strict quality control and most manufacturers are involved with China somewhere in their product.