Intermittent Magnum Mower deck starting issue

Magnum50

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 50" mower deck on my Magnum that does 1 of 3 things when I pull the switch to turn on the mower deck. 1). Blades turn on ok. 2). Nothing happens. 3). The motor is dragged down until it dies.

Seems to change whenever it wants to.

Any suggestions?

Ty

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just a few off the top of my head.

1.Valve adjustment.
2.Low compression.
3.Weak spark.
4.Clogged/plugged air filter.
5.Dirty carb.
6.Bad deck bearings.
7.Bad deck pulleys.
8.Grass built up under the deck.
9.Deck is too low in the grass.
10.Tires are under inflated. Normal for this time of the year.
11.Water in the fuel system.
12.Vacuum leak/s.
13.Mouse nest in the air filter.
14.Mice chewing wires??
15.Old stale fuel from last year.
16.Plugged up slash carbon fouled spark plug/s.
17.Carb float too low or high.
18.Dead head gasket.

Magnum50

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi Slomo

The motor actually is running fine. It's turning on the mower deck that's the problem. Sorry I wasn't specific enough.
Just a few off the top of my head.

1.Valve adjustment.
2.Low compression.
3.Weak spark.
4.Clogged/plugged air filter.
5.Dirty carb.
6.Bad deck bearings.
7.Bad deck pulleys.
8.Grass built up under the deck.
9.Deck is too low in the grass.
10.Tires are under inflated. Normal for this time of the year.
11.Water in the fuel system.
12.Vacuum leak/s.
13.Mouse nest in the air filter.
14.Mice chewing wires??
15.Old stale fuel from last year.
16.Plugged up slash carbon fouled spark plug/s.
17.Carb float too low or high.
18.Dead head gasket.
Hi

The motor is running fine. It's turning on the mower deck that's the problem.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
You said the blades come on okay. Then nothing happens, not sure what that means then engine dogs down. Confused.

Magnum50

Forum Newbie
Threads
You said the blades come on okay. Then nothing happens, not sure what that means then engine dogs down. Confused.

Yes I have done the that several times. Pull the engine cover and blow out the dirt & clippings.

It's not an engine problem, it's the PTO to the mower deck that's messing me up. Sorry about the confusion.

Not all three things happen at the same time. Just one of them. And I never know which one.

When I pull the PTO switch to on, one of the three things I described will happen. Not all of them. I never know which one will happen...All okay, and mower deck runs as normal, or one of the other two things, Mower deck does not turn on at all, or turning on the PTO switch drags the engine to a stall. The PTO switch (to the Mower Deck) seems to have a mind of it's own. After I trailer it from one place to another, I never know what's going to happen when I pull up the PTO switch to turn the mower deck on.

Last edited:

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
What color is the pto switch red button or yellow. If Red I would replace it with the new yellow 679534 switch. When you have it off take a look at the terminals in the plug and see if the center tabs in the terminals are broken out.

Magnum50

Forum Newbie
Threads
What color is the pto switch red button or yellow. If Red I would replace it with the new yellow 679534 switch. When you have it off take a look at the terminals in the plug and see if the center tabs in the terminals are broken out.
It's red. I'll give it a try. Ty

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
We it boggs the engine do it could be the clutch bearings trying to lock up check to see if it is making a noise.