I'm new

Gabi

Threads
Hey, I want to introduce myself, I am Gabi, I am 24, single and just bought my first house. This is the first time in my life I am responsible for mowing and maintaining a lawn, all tips and tricks would be appreciated.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hello and welcome Gabi...
How much do you have to mow...?
Enough for a rider or ZTR?
Or enough for a brisk push type?
:smile:KennyV

Thunder

Threads
Welcome aboard. Might I suggest one of the major home improvement stores to get you started? Or if you want only the best right out of the gate, find a reputable JD dealer nearby.

Gabi

Threads
We have a little better than an acre with a small orchard. A ride on would be fantastic but not sure if it is practical right now. I would be willing to push a mower but I would love it to be at minimum self propelled.

noma

Threads
Gabi

Hay welcome aboard,sounds like it might be a little bit to push mow.Well good luck what ever way you go.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Gabi...
With a small orchard you will need something to get under and around the fruit trees.
So get a good push type, I agree self propelled, Try to find the lightest and easiest to maneuver...
Then later when you increase your mower selection add a rider, you will always have a need for the smaller walk behind... :smile:KennyV

Gabi

Threads
I was figuring I would always need a push mower even if I had a ride on so I think I will start there, I may have to mow it one more time before fall, we shall see, they mowed it right before I moved in

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I was figuring I would always need a push mower even if I had a ride on so I think I will start there, I may have to mow it one more time before fall, we shall see, they mowed it right before I moved in
Soon it will be cool enough that you won't need to mow, so you can save your nickels until spring and get the rider at that time.
Get a good quality push mower and keep the oil changed every year, and don't run over any rocks or pipes, it will last many years. You're only decision will be if you want to bag the grass or not.
I prefer one that is not self propelled, I can cut faster with it. It's good excersize.
Depending on where you live and how much rain you get you may need to cut every 5-10 days. Which means you may want to cut a 1/3 to 1/2 a section a time. An acre will take most of the day to cut depending on how high the grass is. If you divide it into sections your not using your whole saturday or Sunday cutting and trimming. On a really hot day it can really seem like more work than it is. Remember, the higher it gets, the longer it takes to cut. If you are going to bag the grass it takes longer because your going to have to stop and empty the bag. I don't use a mower with a bag feature. When I want the grass for compost I rake it and wheel barrow back to the bin.
If you spend 20-30 minutes after work, by the time the weekend comes around your yard is done till Monday or Tuesday:drink:

Gabi

Threads
Yea, I have decided to look for a mower over the fall/winter, maybe catch on on sale and do some research. I want to make a good purchase rather than buy one on a whim because I need my lawn mowed.