I'm curious.. do people cover their lawn tractors?

KerryAll

Threads
  • / I'm curious.. do people cover their lawn tractors?
I've not looked into the idea, really, because there are some already out there, such as this:
Motorcycle Sport Storage Shelter / Shed - Concord - Everything Else - Heated Lines

or this one:
Cycle Cabana - Motorcycle Shed

They're about $250-300, and I'm not sure I could sell any cheaper. That being said, I don't think these have a floor, so the idea you mentioned, Mystreba, (without a frame) might be worth looking into. I'm wondering, though, would mice chew their way into the enclosure (made of woven poly)?

mystreba

Threads
I've not looked into the idea, really, because there are some already out there, such as this:
They're about $250-300, and I'm not sure I could sell any cheaper. That being said, I don't think these have a floor, so the idea you mentioned, Mystreba, (without a frame) might be worth looking into. I'm wondering, though, would mice chew their way into the enclosure (made of woven poly)?

Those cabanas might be good for someone that doesn't have a shed, but they won't keep mice out of things stored in a shed. And the frame is overkill for the situation I'm thinking of.

The issue of mice chewing through the poly cover might be a show-stopper.

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you're discussing what I think you are (those 'buildings' that are a tarp attached to a aluminum tube-frame), they have two disadvantages, at least in my area: wind and snow. They don't like either, and fall apart quickly in both. A few people near me tried them for mowers/vehicles, and they are no good for our environment.

There's just too much unsupported area in it - and the flapping of poly in the wind will eventually rip it to shreds, as will the heft of snow.

The cover that was originally the start of this thread, is the much better way to go. My Simplicity is under a tarp, with bricks keeping it tight at the base. That's fine for a long term store (like my Simplicity) but, I'd rather have a grille-cover like cover to easily slip on/off for weekly use, and tight enough to cover for the winter.

mystreba

Threads
If you're discussing what I think you are (those 'buildings' that are a tarp attached to a aluminum tube-frame), they have two disadvantages, at least in my area: wind and snow. They don't like either, and fall apart quickly in both. A few people near me tried them for mowers/vehicles, and they are no good for our environment.

There's just too much unsupported area in it - and the flapping of poly in the wind will eventually rip it to shreds, as will the heft of snow.

The cover that was originally the start of this thread, is the much better way to go. My Simplicity is under a tarp, with bricks keeping it tight at the base. That's fine for a long term store (like my Simplicity) but, I'd rather have a grille-cover like cover to easily slip on/off for weekly use, and tight enough to cover for the winter.

Yeah, we got off track with those "cabana" style enclosures. But that's not what I'm after. I want what you are talking about - a grill-style cover, but with a bottom. You drive the tractor onto the bottom, slip the cover over the tractor, and zip the cover to the bottom. Seems like a mouse-proof cover. But the issue may be that mice would chew through the cover anyway.

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yeah, we got off track with those "cabana" style enclosures. But that's not what I'm after. I want what you are talking about - a grill-style cover, but with a bottom. You drive the tractor onto the bottom, slip the cover over the tractor, and zip the cover to the bottom. Seems like a mouse-proof cover. But the issue may be that mice would chew through the cover anyway.

I like your idea, but unless you clean the underside of the deck, and get all the grass off the thing before zippering, wouldn't the heat/combined with the decomposition of the grass, cause excess moisture? Not to mention gas/crankcase vapors.......maybe with vents in it, it'd be okay......but, I think it's stink to high heaven after a mowing.......

That'd make an ideal environment for compost.....but I don't think you wanna have it composting on the underside of your deck!

I think the OP was about daily use, and it sounds like you're talking winter storage......

I've read that mice like wiring insulation because the plastic is soy-based, and this poly wouldn't be......it's not the need to chew, as much as they think it's food.....hmmm

KerryAll

Threads
Well, then, how about this? A grill-type cover that has a removable bottom... use it during the summer without the bottom, and then attach the bottom for winter storage?

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well, then, how about this? A grill-type cover that has a removable bottom... use it during the summer without the bottom, and then attach the bottom for winter storage?

OOOOH....you're onto something there. REALLY onto something. Make it so you can somehow cinch it up at the bottom when the bottom is not attached. It'd be expensive, but really worth it for we who have not the blessings of a great big shed/garage!!!

Great thinking!

BTW, you get my email?

KerryAll

Threads
I did get your e-mail, will be talking to the stitcher tomorrow.
Not sure how you mean 'cinch it up at the bottom'?

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
I did get your e-mail, will be talking to the stitcher tomorrow.
Not sure how you mean 'cinch it up at the bottom'?

You know how elastic at the bottom of some things makes the whole thing tighter? A bungee or something that will take up the slack at the bottom (and, thusly make the whole thing tighter) will work. Think of elastic at the bottom, without the elastic.......:laughing:

fastback

Threads
Yah, a barn, garage and a garage in a box for the attachments. Near future a 10 x 12 shed for the new tractor. I bought the garage in a box 12 x 20, for $300.00 at BJ's. I have seen smaller ones don't know the pricies. The only problem with this type of cover is I don't know the life expectancy. You could build a wooden structure for a reasonable price of you are handy. As for covering yes by all means a cover is better than nothing. The weather and UV will kill the tractor, tires and seat. Stored inside will double the life, in my opinion.