ignition switch

Davenj4f

Threads
I would like to find an ignition switch for my 2200 that uses a REAL key, not a modified screwdriver. Want to keep unauthorized people from using my mower. Looked around, no can find. My next thought was to add a regular switch that does use a normal key in line from the ignition switch to keep it from starting. I think the red wire would be the one to interupt.
Has anyone else traveled this road ?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you provide us with the model and serial numbers off the iD tag we should be able to help you out.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
John Deere and Kubota both use a better key
JD use the same key ( but different switches ) in all of their road plant so while it is a better key, there are only 3 or 4 of them
Kubota use a Z profile key which is milled both sides
However it is a 2 sec job to pull the plug on the switch & jump it
Now if your Ferris uses a kill relay to ground the magneto and not a ground connection through the key switch you can use almost any automotive key switch

The burning question is how well do you understand simple DC circuitry ?
Once the engine is running then it is self energising .

Now if you just want people to stop using your mower when you are not there, a long shackle pad lock is probably simpler and a lot more secure

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Remove the battery each time you are done. But that only works if they don't bring their own battery.

Davenj4f

Threads
I would like to find an ignition switch for my 2200 that uses a REAL key, not a modified screwdriver. Want to keep unauthorized people from using my mower. Looked around, no can find. My next thought was to add a regular switch that does use a normal key in line from the ignition switch to keep it from starting. I think the red wire would be the one to interupt.
Has anyone else traveled this road ?
I just wondered if anyone had found an exact replacement switch that used a real key. And also what others had done. I'm just going to put a switch in the solenoid line, just enough to keep someone from jumping on and trying to use it.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Indak does not make an ignition switch with a milled key that matches the make.break config of your current switch nor does Delta. Delta comes close but their is not a true milled key and about anything will turn it.

1687137448880.png

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I just wondered if anyone had found an exact replacement switch that used a real key. And also what others had done. I'm just going to put a switch in the solenoid line, just enough to keep someone from jumping on and trying to use it.
Yes John Deere I said as much in the first reply
John Deere switch & key
Use the "more" button to get the list of JD part numbers .
Down side is finding a plug to go into the back of the switch
Star might have a part number for it but I do not
And again as already mentioned it is a proper key so a screwdriver will not turn it but there is only one key for each of the switches
Thus like every mower tech will have one on his mower key ring , every mower thief will also have one so it only stops very amateur thieves and your kids

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Make.Break table

Off > M + G
Run > B + A
Start > B + A & S1 + S2

Can jumper B to S1 to make start circuit active. But you would lose the grounding of A in the off position.

Switch uses standard five terminal housing common to most mowers and one single terminal housing. Aptiv 2973422 plus one Aptiv 2962448. Uses standard Aptiv terminals which you would just remove from the current housing if the housing is different or just rearrange in the correct config.

You need a couple terminals to make up the jumper circuit. Aptiv 12033824 16-14 female, one to two 16ga can be crimped into the terminals. Open barrel crimper is needed to make proper crimps.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The ones I get which I linked to are 6 pin switches not 5

Davenj4f

Threads
The ones I get which I linked to are 6 pin switches not 5
Did it much simpler. I had installed the JD relay kit on my Kawasaki engine (had starting problems), and one wire (purple one) connected to the purple wire going to the starter solenoid. I just installed a round key switch between those two purple wires, and accomplished my goal. Just to keep someone from jumping on and using it, not necessarily stealing it. Altho it will help some in that category.