I'd like to hear any good or bad stories on your tractors

tigercat

Threads
  • / I'd like to hear any good or bad stories on your tractors
Here is my tractor story:
5 Years ago I bought my new 46" red yard tractor from Sears. 21 HP B&S OHV engine, automatic transmission 46" cut.
Model number 917.28924

Price paid out the door with insurance, $1881.48. Then at the same time I ordered the 3 bagger grass collection system for another $392.19.
Total for complete machine $2.273.67.

I have to say without question it's a piece of junk compared to the older craftsman tractor it replaced.

Here is what happened to it so far. First of all I keep it inside a dry garage with a cement slab as a floor. I don't mow when it's wet out. After I mow with it, I blow the deck and machine off with my air compressor to avoid using water to rust the bearings or to mess with the electrical system. I grease and service it yearly.

The thing always drops the drive belt going forward or reverse. When it was new sears techs were over twice to reinstall the belt. I ask them to repair the problem, not just to reattach the belt. They said the machine was redesigned without a belt guide so sometimes this could happen. He said to check your tire pressure and slow down on corners to prevent the machine bouncing which might aggravate the condition.

I fixed it by adding 2 belt guides.

For the life of me, it won't keep the grass collection system on the machine. The bottom 2 pieces simply crack, then fall off to the ground. The deck piece and the bottom tube. I replaced these parts 2 times. After the third time, I removed the grass catcher and threw it all away.

The handle to engage the lawn mower blade is in front of the steering wheel. The link under the dash broke 3 times. Sears was at the house 3 times under warrantee. I replaced the link with my own part made out of steel, it will not break again.

When brand new, I had a flat tire. The valve stem in the right rear tire was damaged. I removed the tire and the gas station fixed it with a new valve stem.

Last fall I blew the head gasket.
While I was pre mulching leaves before the bigger machine sucks it all up it started puffing like Jeff Gordon's #24 Chevy at Talladega. White smoke pouring out of the muffler.

Yea I replaced the head gasket, reset the valves and changed the oil. Another $100 bucks thrown away.

One time when it was new, it dropped a pin that holds the front side of the deck up. I bent a bracket or two as I was plowing with the cutting deck, before I realized what has happened.

I replaced the battery last fall. 4 years on the original battery is fine with me. I do keep it on a battery tender so at least some good news! I also keep the blades sharp and replaced them once or twice so far. Maybe a hundred hours on the machine, as it's not the only machine I own.

I think that's it. It runs fine otherwise. I now have it pulling the lawn cart and other easy duties not to break it further. I replaced it with a professional Scag zero turn rider.

What has Sears done to a great rider?

edit: here is what it looks like

Last edited:
D

DSepe

• / I'd like to hear any good or bad stories on your tractors
I wonder who made that particular mower. I'm sure your aware that Sears has never manufactured mowers so it must be a rebranded something. Whoever made it obviously didn't do good quality testing or didn't care because it has Craftsman stickers, which makes Sears look bad not the actual maker.

Anyways I had a Deutz-Allis for 26 years without a problem 12.5 HP Vanguard 38" cut. The clutch went and I didn't feel like replacing it. The only problem it ever had was the cut height adjustment was always funky and needed a redneck mod to keep the cut at the correct height or it slipped while mowing.