I think I've ruined my yard

Audioi

Threads
Grass

Two years ago my wife bought me a John Deere riding lawnmower and that's where the problem started. Previously in the summer in the hot months the yard would dry out and turn brown so I question the ChemLawn boy and he said to make sure I'm cutting it at 3 inches so I set the mowing Heights to 3 inches and each time I mowed it progressively looked worse. I have figured out that I always mow in the same direction and the yard now seems to have a memory. Now that I've examined it closer I'm finding that the grass is about 5 inches long and laid over so what's the best way to correct this?

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Grass

Two years ago my wife bought me a John Deere riding lawnmower and that's where the problem started. Previously in the summer in the hot months the yard would dry out and turn brown so I question the ChemLawn boy and he said to make sure I'm cutting it at 3 inches so I set the mowing Heights to 3 inches and each time I mowed it progressively looked worse. I have figured out that I always mow in the same direction and the yard now seems to have a memory. Now that I've examined it closer I'm finding that the grass is about 5 inches long and laid over so what's the best way to correct this?

Mowing grass is a lot like cleaning your carpet in your house, you should change your direction of cut often never removing over one third of the total height of the grass. What type of grass are you cutting? Sounds like Bahia. Have you checked to see if the mower blades are sharp.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
I agree with ric not supposed to mow the same way every time. Your grass will lay down and your mower may not be sucking it up.

Change direction, if you can go "against the grain" a little lower than you have been mowing low enough to suck up and fluff the grass up. Extra water fertilize properly if you haven't already and then start mowing at 3" changing direction every time
North south one week
East west next week
Northwest southeast next week etc

Audioi

Threads
Mowing grass is a lot like cleaning your carpet in your house, you should change your direction of cut often never removing over one third of the total height of the grass. What type of grass are you cutting? Sounds like Bahia. Have you checked to see if the mower blades are sharp.

I believe it's Kentucky bluegrass and the blades on both mowers are new.