I need a torque wrench ......

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
My "haters" should be here shortly.......

No hating on this one.
I also just get them tight and close as I can to being the same.

Lizardskeep

Threads
Wish I had that kind of control ........... The only way I can tell if they're all the same tight is when they won't turn any more.

Lizardskeep

Threads
Okay guys, I wimped out and ordered this a little while ago. Guess y'all gonna make me go sit on the porch now. Huh.

TEKTON 24320 1/4-Inch Drive Click Torque Wrench, 20-200-Inch/Pound

Maybe it will keep me out of trouble anyway.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have been doing repair work for years. Yes in a pinch I don't use a torque wrench. When I put a engine together most of my work is done with a torque wrench. I really don't see where its any big deal if you use one or not. I even install spark plugs with a torque wrench. Another thing I use is a lot of the blue locktite. I own five different torque wrenches of different types. I guess its in my twisted mine I do a better job using a torque wrench and will hang my head in shame next time I use one just for who ever.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I normally only use it for critical torque spec areas, such as head bolts, flywheel nuts, rod bolts, pan or side cover bolts.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I normally only use it for critical torque spec areas, such as head bolts, flywheel nuts, rod bolts, pan or side cover bolts.

All I can say is you better hold your head in shame :frown:

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Naw, I have no problem with anyone using a torque wrench, I just said that I haven't used mine in 10 years or so....

cuengineer

Forum Newbie
Threads
You can get a 1/4" Clicker-style torque wrench from HF for $10-12. They actually work pretty well. May not be as accurate as fancy ones but a LOT better than nothing.

mr.farmall

Threads
You can get a 1/4" Clicker-style torque wrench from HF for $10-12. They actually work pretty well. May not be as accurate as fancy ones but a LOT better than nothing.

I have two torque wrenches from harbor freight. I don't do a lot of work but it's nice to have!! The one is for small torques in Inch pounds and the other for heavier torques in foot lbs. But here is the catch, The larger one is very inaccurate, It is going back to harbor freight since it is a Pittsburgh and they are guaranteed for life.
I had an engineer teach me how to test them. It's pretty simple. The formula is " torque = distance X weight. "
You measure the length of the wrench from the center of the socket connection to the center of the hand hold,(there is usually a ring around the handle at that point), then plug the numbers into the formula to find the weight needed to make the clicker operate. (remember to use feet in the distance for foot lbs and inches for inch lbs) Next you secure the socket end and have the handle out horizontal. To secure it you could hook it on a lug nut on a car or place it in a an elevated vice, just make sure it is secure and has room to dangle a weight off of the handle . The third item is to hang a weight on the handle at the ring marking, and very slowly transfer the weight from your hands to the torque wrench. It should just click at that point. adding a little pressure with your pinky finger or subtracting a little will help determine how close it really is. I made tests every 50foot lbs on the larger one and every 25 inch LBS on the smaller one. I used gravel in a bucket and a short rope to connect it. Every test result was inaccurate on the larger one!!
Every test was correct on the smaller one!!
My larger one is more than 20 % out at 100lbs, but my small one is right on the money.

Here is an example; if the torque wrench is 20 inches long, that equals 1.67 feet. (20 inches / 12 inches to convert to feet) If you want 100 foot lbs, the formula is "100 foot lbs= 1.67 feet X 59.9 lbs".(100 / 1.67 = 59.9 to get the weight) so you would use a weight of 59.9 lbs, 20 inches down the handle. Pretty simple!
The down side of the smaller one is that it only clicks in the tightening direction, not the loosening direct. The larger one works both ways.
I hope this is of value to someone.
Thanks Rex

bt3

Threads