I need a chainsaw

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I need to buy a chainsaw and was just wondering if anyone has any particular brand that they would recommend. I am relatively new to mowers, chainsaws and such. Any help would be appreciated.

So much depends on the use of the saw...I have owned four Craftsman brand (all made by Poulan) since '88. My first was a 2.3 ci with a 16 inch bar. IT STILL WORKS GREAT. The newest is a 2.8 ci with an 18 inch bar. I have never needed anything bigger than a 16 or 18 inch bar but all the cutting I do is to remove trees, not for actual firewood purposes. If I used a saw a lot I'd buy a Stihl, period.

An 18 inch bar is a great starter size, if required, you can always downsize to a 16 or 14 inch bar and chain when the OEM units need replacing. Since you are buying your first saw, get the one that "feels" the most comfortable to you, using a saw you have to wrestle around is dangerous when you are alert, and suicide if you are tired. Is the on/off switch easy to access? Is the chain easy to adjust? How hard is it to refill the chain oil, to remove the chain cover and clean out debris, to replace the spark plug?

It should be obvious you want to buy a starter saw with the most safety feautures, a low kickback chain is a must, and I would love to have a chain brake, but none of mine have that feature. An advantage to buying a Stihl or other brand from a power equipment dealership and not a big box store, is that a good dealer will help you determine your needs, and hopefully give you instructions on how to use the saw safely from the beginning.

And whatever you finally buy, be frigging careful, please. A chain saw is the most dangerous power tool ever devised. After 24 years of using my saws, I'm still afraid of them, which makes me respect the damage they can do in a fraction of a second. WORK SAFE.

Natureboy

Threads
Been cutting 12-15 face cord a year for 7 years with my Echo, would'nt trade it for any other model.