I just bought a Dixie Chopper XW2200

motsiball

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just bought a Dixie Chopper XW2200 and wanted to drop by to get some suggestions from you all on things you would immediately suggest I do such as maintenance, fluid changes and things that are known to go wrong to look for. Any suggestions are appreciated.

cambre

Threads
I just bought a Dixie Chopper XW2200 and wanted to drop by to get some suggestions from you all on things you would immediately suggest I do such as maintenance, fluid changes and things that are known to go wrong to look for. Any suggestions are appreciated.

I assume its used. Change oil, oil filter, fuel filter & air filter. Change spark plug or plugs. Grease all fittings. Spray all moving parts with WD 40. Sharpen blades. Keep air screen to engine clean. Check oil in transmissions. Some are sealed. If you have a manual check maintenance section. Cambre

cclllc

Threads
Hello
I have 2 of these both semi retired. One has over 8000 hrs on it while the other was bought used with hours unknown.
Regular maintenance is important. These mowers are the easiest to work on. Good luck

Shughes717

Lawn Addict
Threads
I assume its used. Change oil, oil filter, fuel filter & air filter. Change spark plug or plugs. Grease all fittings. Spray all moving parts with WD 40. Sharpen blades. Keep air screen to engine clean. Check oil in transmissions. Some are sealed. If you have a manual check maintenance section. Cambre

I would never spray any moving metal part with WD 40. It will make it rust faster. if there are moving parts that need lubrication buy a can of spray on graphite. It will create a slick surface that will dry so as not to collect dirt.

cambre

Threads
I would never spray any moving metal part with WD 40. It will make it rust faster. if there are moving parts that need lubrication buy a can of spray on graphite. It will create a slick surface that will dry so as not to collect dirt.

See Snopes.com. Household uses for WD-40. Where did you get that it makes things rust?

Shughes717

Lawn Addict
Threads
See Snopes.com. Household uses for WD-40. Where did you get that it makes things rust?

It is not a lubricant. I have seen people spray gun barrels with WD 40 and get rusted in no time. WD stands for water displacement, not metal part lubricant. When you have two metal parts rubbing together the worst thing you can do is spray something on them that will attract dirt. You want to spray it with something that will dry, but create a slick surface so friction will be reduced. That's why I suggested a can of graphite.

Last edited:

cambre

Threads
It is not a lubricant. I have seen people spray gun barrels with WD 40 and get rusted in no time. WD stands for water displacement, not metal part lubricant. When you have two metal parts rubbing together the worst thing you can do is spray something on them that will attract dirt. You want to spray it with something that will dry, but create a slick surface so friction will be reduced. That's why I suggested a can of graphite.

Thanks Shughes: You educated me. WD does stand for water displacement. I should have said to spray with a lubricant after WD40 dries as it is a good cleaner. I use a heavy duty silicone spray.

Shughes717

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks Shughes: You educated me. WD does stand for water displacement. I should have said to spray with a lubricant after WD40 dries as it is a good cleaner. I use a heavy duty silicone spray.

Wd 40 does work as a decent penetrator, and can clean grease and gum off of things. I have even seen it used to get gum out of hair lol. It has its uses.

motsiball

Forum Newbie
Threads
The owners manual for my XW2200 tells me to use 15W40 Synthetic as my Hydraulic Oil but it does not tell me what type oil to use in my engine. From what I can tell from the manual, mine has the Kohler 22 HP so what type of oil should I put in the engine? Also, do I have to use the Amsoil bypass filter or can I find an equal replacement for oil filter number 60119 (Amsoil BE-90 or EABP90)?

Last edited: