I got a new, undamaged, unused, never-opened Craftsman blade for two cents at Lowe's.

Alex Ethridge

Threads
  • / I got a new, undamaged, unused, never-opened Craftsman blade for two cents at Lowe's.
Just for fun, I just now ran the math on the two-cent blade. Turns out I got a 99.93% discount.

Alex Ethridge

Threads
  • / I got a new, undamaged, unused, never-opened Craftsman blade for two cents at Lowe's.
About twenty years ago, I was reworking the head on my car's engine and decided to clean the engine entirely. I went to a locally-owned parts store and could not find any of the products I was used to using. I asked the clerk and he highly recommended something called Super Tuff (sold under the brand of S&N) for only $1.25 per gallon so I bought eight gallons as he bragged it was good for cleaning almost anything with great ease.

And boy was he telling the truth! It melts dirt off as fast as snow would melt in a hot a frying pan.

Fast forward a few years and I went back for more. Long story short, the "price" I paid previously was actually the stock number for that store and Super Stuff was $14 per gallon ($20 today). Still, I bought four more gallons as it is the best tire and engine (or anything similar) cleaner I've ever used. For as long as they make that stuff, I'll won't be without it.

Alex Ethridge

Threads
I just now read this "Pennying Out" article at MSN.com.

If an item has been on sale in Home Depot long enough, its price becomes just one penny.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
pro tip: when you go buy blades...or even string trimmer heads..go to store manager FIRST...ask them if you can shop their returns. this is especially true for the big box stores...lots of returns for wrong sized purchases. Same thing with chainsaw chain. And even tools! I have a hard ware store in the local area that I have made a good relationship with and they actually call me when they have tools returned that they cannot sell open box (usually something missing or slight imperfection...or simply wrong tool/returned gift). You'll be surprised.

I go to tractor supply last year and get 3 blades for a 52 ztr. 10 bucks for the whole set. Zip tied together...wrong blades ..returned...absolutely nothing wrong with them...normally 30-40 bucks for the set.

it's a thing.

I used to pick up running push mowers from Walmart for like $10 to $20. People would buy, use once or twice then take it back.

Lawn Addict
Threads
I used to pick up running push mowers from Walmart for like $10 to $20. People would buy, use once or twice then take it back.
Actually that's kinda how I got my 1st riding mower way long ago, bought from Sears, used & returned. Said they didn't like it.. Was now priced @ 1/2 off. I looked it over, & peeked under the deck, the guy musta hit a stump or something bad, cause one blade was bent downward.. I pointed it out to the clerk, he said that guy is gonna have a surprise on his credit card..

Anyhow, a $1,750. mower was marked down to $875. I said but it's damaged. He said he will thrown in new blades..

I said If warranty remains intact, I can give $700. cash today only (good blades included) .. He ran upstairs to speak to the manager..
Came back & said NO, $800 is lowest.. I told him to have nice day, walked away. Did my other shopping & strolling back, he saw me & said he could take the $700. cash. I replied that would be acceptable "if" your guys load it in my truck. Thus I got "Greenie" pictured below..

Ran that for 10 years & still got $500. when I finally sold it. Yes I waxed it as well.

Attachments

• 1-A-1998 Greenie.JPG
    1-A-1998 Greenie.JPG
    625.3 KB · Views: 2
Last edited: