I am sure there is a thread on here some where already

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / I am sure there is a thread on here some where already
The fact is, there's very little difference between different brands of motor oil. The brand of motor oil matters little, but its viscosity grade (10W-30, for example) which is important. Use only what the owner manual specifies. Using the wrong [viscosity] oil can lead to reduced lubrication and shorter engine life. If the manual says or calls to use synthetic oil, do so if not it's your choice. Mobil1, Amsoil, Valvoline, SynPower, Shell Rotella and all the rest of the synthetic motor oils have too meet and exceed the same specifications to get that little (API Logo) on the bottle so use what you want.

Does the generic looking stuff Weal-mart sells carry that logo?

I have seen people run that stuff in lots of equipment and it looked like they did fine with it. I even ran it in a generator back after Hurricane Ivan out of necessity cause that was all I had.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Does the generic looking stuff Weal-mart sells carry that logo?

I have seen people run that stuff in lots of equipment and it looked like they did fine with it. I even ran it in a generator back after Hurricane Ivan out of necessity cause that was all I had.

If you mean there Super Tech it's a good value for full synthetic oil and meets API standards the same as name brand specs have too for way less money. Go to the Walmart site and check, read some of the reviews. It's like $17.00 for five quarts.
The thing is you can listen to oil companies and their propaganda all you want and naturally they will tell you theirs is the best. It's all about money and sales and if you buy according to money/sales then Mobil 1 is the best on the market.

Super Tech Full Synthetic 5W30 Motor Oil, 5 qt: Motor Oil, Transmission Fluid & Car Lubricant : Walmart.com

Read the label, the logo is there along with the API ratings.

Article:
“I tell people that ninety-five percent of the words on a can of engine oil are marketing hype,” says James Garthe, who is an agricultural engineer at Penn State University and has conducted motor-oil research for the school. “Don’t believe all that crap that’s on there.” For instance, he says, an oil might boast of its anti-sludge properties, but “all [motor oils] have some anti-sludge additives.”
So, what you get when you buy into a major brand’s claims is a big dose of marketing. For instance, Walmart’s house brand of synthetic oil passes the stringent “Corvette” standard that General Motors has set for motor oils. (We’ll have more on that later.) It’s refined by a major oil-maker. The only thing that Walmart’s motor oil is lacking is the colorful branding and the flashy TV commercials.

Last edited:

Snapper101

Threads
Castrol HD 30 , In everything, ( small air cooled engines) I guess what you,ve used for years and never had any oil related problems you just stick with it.