I am stumped!

tankilla

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Bolens Riding mower with the 22hp briggs and stratton motor #407777. I had used it a couple times to mow this spring before it started acting up. It doesn't seem to have any power. If i get it to full throttle and engage the blades it starts to stumble and die. I tried disconnecting the kill switch in the seat and didn't help. Here's a list of everything I've done:

Complete carb rebuild
New fuel pump
New fuel lines and filter
New plugs and wires
New coils
Gas tank cleaned out
Fresh gas
Ran with and without air filter
Replaced governor gear
Adjusted the governor arm
Checked and adjusted valve gaps
I even removed the rocker arms and springs so i could put the valve stems in a drill chuck and spin them on the seats to clean them off. (One of the four seemed to have some buildup that smoothed out after spinning it)

I am leaning towards a governor issue since one time i was able to mow with it by disconnecting the governor and wiring it into position. I just had to slow down when i got in the thick grass. But now, after all that, it will start but idles really rough and slow like a Harley motor. Moving the throttle does nothing. Pulling the choke kills it. I took the muffler off to make sure it wasn't clogged and it ran the same. (And really sounded like a Harley then!) If i pull the spark plugs they are both black like it's running really rich. Also there is a little black smoke coming out the exhaust while it's chugging along. So that's where I'm at. Totally stumped. I normally don't have this much trouble fixing something. Which is why I'm here looking for new ideas. I've got way to much money in it to quit. Please help!

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Try pulling the spark plug wires to check if both cylinders are doing the same work. Do it both at low idle and high idle.

tankilla

Forum Newbie
Threads
I checked that early on. It ran really bad or died when i pulled either plug wire. It runs poorly with both but better than just one. I should also mention that one time after putting back together it ran up full speed and wouldn't slow down. I shut it off, restarted it and old problem was back. Rough idle, no power, no throttle response. Even though it seems like a governor issue, I've checked the entire governor system inside and out and seems to be hooked up right, adjusted right, responding, etc.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Check the throttle plate on the carb. It is held on by two little screws sounds like it has came loose.

Look in the carb and move the throttle and see if the plate moves as it should.

tankilla

Forum Newbie
Threads
Are you talking about the throttle plate inside the carb? I removed and reinstalled that when i rebuilt the carb. That and the choke plate. So i know they are both secure. If you mean something different can you provide a picture?

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Are you talking about the throttle plate inside the carb? I removed and reinstalled that when i rebuilt the carb. That and the choke plate. So i know they are both secure. If you mean something different can you provide a picture?

That's what I mean.
Check it anyways.
When you take then screws out and put them back in they like to fall back out.

Rokon

Threads
You have replaced almost everything that could be possibly related to your problem. The only thing not mentioned was timing, like a slightly sheared flywheel key.

On a side note, I have cleaned and rebuilt carbs that should have worked fine, but needed to go back in the tank for another cleaning. You mentioned dying under a load once blades are engaged. This opens up a different circuit in the carb. Just thinking out loud...

tankilla

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well the carb plates are secure. I also pulled the flywheel and the key looked brand new still. Yes the carb has been in the back of my mind. I've thought about buying a whole new one but it's so dang expensive. Maybe i can find a donor motor on craigslist. I'll keep working and give updates soon.

jimmy3262

Threads
I have the same motor and carb and when i rebuilt my carb i had about the same problem what i found was their is a form bushing on the outside of the carb on the throttle shaft that broke in half and fell off that i didn't notice was gone. I think it helps center the throttle plates in the carb here is a link to the break down of the carb I think it is number 987 Lawn Mower Parts, Small Engine Parts & Much More! | PartsTree.com - Briggs, MTD, Toro, Cub Cadet, Husqvarna, Troy-bilt...hope this might help