Hydro-gear transmission filter difficulties and lesson learned.

Steve Smith

Threads
  • / Hydro-gear transmission filter difficulties and lesson learned.

My older Cub Cadet model 2184, has a Hydro-Gear hydraulic transmission part number 618-3231. I believe it is Hydro-Gear model 13A-224F100.​

I recently decided, after many years, it was time to change the transmission fluid and filter. The genuine Hydro-Gear or Cub Cadet filters were expensive, so I crossed the filter from Cub Cadet part number 723-3014 to a FRAM Extra Guard PH16. After changing the hydraulic fluid and filter my tractor would not move. Not at all. I went through the venting procedure several times. After working and venting, I got it to move a little bit on level ground. To make a long story short, after I installed the expensive genuine Cub Cadet 723-3014 filter, the tractor immediately spring to life and runs like it always did.​

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That because the CC 723-3014 crosses to Fram PH2844 and not PH16

The transaxle might be Hydro Gear but it must be under a different HydroGear model number as 618-3231 (918-3231) is not listed on the Hydro Gear dealer's site.
The other number is the model number of the Cub Cadet mower.

https://www.oilfilter-crossreference.com/convert/CUB-CADET/723-3014

Lawn Addict
Threads
For my Hydros, I will only use the OE filters & Amsoil 20w-50 hydro specific oil. .. This is one area where I won't try & pinch some pennies.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Using an engine oil filter in place of a dedicated hydraulic oil filter can get you in trouble. Most hydraulic filters do not have anti drain back valves or bypass valves.
Use an OE filter or the equivalent Stens or Rotary.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
FWIW
The bulk of the hydro filters are around 10µ
The bulk of the engine filters are around 25µ
And that is a big difference .

DWSarow

Threads
A good lesson for all of us.On my Cub,125,the previous owner had put on some after market deck belts,he said were cheaper when he sold it to me.It didn't take me long to get the correct factory belts.I decided I would only use the parts it was born with.Belts,filters, fluid,plugs,points, I feel good about my decision.