Hydro-Gear 2800 Service Question .. Getting mixed info

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / Hydro-Gear 2800 Service Question .. Getting mixed info
Is it better to have the hydros hot or cold to drain the fluid & change filters.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Is it better to have the hydros hot or cold to drain the fluid & change filters.
The service manual doesn’t specify either way. I don’t think it matters. Once you remove the filters, the oil spills out easily.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks MParr- very true.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Warm oil just drains faster and more completely. There will still be areas that will not drain.

Lawn Addict
Threads
OK Thanks, I have "Internal expansion tanks" on my HG 2800s' & I drained a precisely measured 118 oz combined total of OE 20w-50. (yes I'm that anal to measure the drained oil),.

Research states about 2 quarts per unit on my application.

Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
You got to remember the oil filters contains some oil.

Also you need the Hydro-Gear dual barb fitting, part number 55752 to refill the oil. Or at least it makes it easier.

Lawn Addict
Threads
You got to remember the oil filters contains some oil.

Also you need the Hydro-Gear dual barb fitting, part number 55752 to refill the oil. Or at least it makes it easier.
Absolutely, & that accounts for the extra missing.

Yes I have that blk dual barb fitting, or you can just open the very top fill caps & side oil level caps.
I used the fitting. I filled them to full level. .. Letting it sit a couple nights, & then check levels & start purge process.

Last edited:

Lawn Addict
Threads
OK, so in continuing. I have added new (oe) H/G oil filters & using the dual barb fitting added fluid. I could only get
all but 16 ounces in of a gallon on 2 internal expansion 2800 units. Let it sit 2 days. Checked fluid level & it was to level.

Then with dump valves released, started it, rear off the ground & at low rpms run the sticks slowly 6 times times. Stopped it, leveled it on blocks & then checked fluid levels, they both wanted more fluid in each.

Now I am about 10 oz short of 1 gal total. & will have more purging to keep doing maybe tomorrow.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.. These are my 1st serviceable hydros.

Last edited: