Hustler Fastrak Kawasaki Engine Swap

dvcochran

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Hustler with a Kawasaki FR691V - AS27 - Engine that has a damaged cylinder.
I also have a Cub Cadet with a good Kawasaki FH721V-S01.
Can anyone advise whether this would be a direct swap for the damaged engine?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
They should if the engine plugs are the same and the PTO shafts are the same diameter 1" or 1.125"
The crankcase & cylinder castings should be the same so the muffler should swap directly over

dvcochran

Forum Newbie
Threads
They should if the engine plugs are the same and the PTO shafts are the same diameter 1" or 1.125"
The crankcase & cylinder castings should be the same so the muffler should swap directly over
I have the complete mower with the Cub. It runs fine with about 500 hours it is just slow.
Could I just use the Cub engine with the pto that is on it?
I also wondered about the wiring. I see that the Hustler has a separate starter relay. May have to figure that out.

LawnWizard

Threads
Assuming the shafts are the same (diameter, length and slot) I'd go with the PTO clutch off the Hustler just so that the deck belt will be correct. You can figure out what belt you'll need if the clutches are different but using the correct got the mower will make it easier.
One more thing: are the charging amps the same? The Hustler should be 30 AMP (I think), don't know about the donor.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I have the complete mower with the Cub. It runs fine with about 500 hours it is just slow.
Could I just use the Cub engine with the pto that is on it?
I also wondered about the wiring. I see that the Hustler has a separate starter relay. May have to figure that out.
Probably
You will need to work out an anchor for the PTO and the blades might end up being a little faster( pulley bigger ) or slower ( pulley smaller )

txmowman

Threads
I have a Hustler with a Kawasaki FR691V - AS27 - Engine that has a damaged cylinder.
I also have a Cub Cadet with a good Kawasaki FH721V-S01.
Can anyone advise whether this would be a direct swap for the damaged engine?
The PTO is not the same and the muffler mount is different as well. This FH will not direct replace your FR.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Cranks are different both are 1 1/8 but the length is different 4 9/32 on the FR and 3 15/16 on the FH. Nothing is the same on the two engines. FR730-DS16S replaces it MSRP $1937.12

Last edited:

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
FR730-S16S smallenginewarehouse.com has one for $1,739.00

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Assuming the shafts are the same (diameter, length and slot) I'd go with the PTO clutch off the Hustler just so that the deck belt will be correct. You can figure out what belt you'll need if the clutches are different but using the correct got the mower will make it easier.
One more thing: are the charging amps the same? The Hustler should be 30 AMP (I think), don't know about the donor.
15 amp charging on the Hustler

LawnWizard

Threads
I didn't look mine up, I was going by the fact that all my FX 850s and FX1000s are 30 amp.
Sorry if I provided bad info.