Husqvarna Z4219 ZTR riding mower - transmission leak

danielbmartin

Threads
This ZTR has two transmissions, one for each rear wheel. One of them has a slow leak. The Owner's Manual (page 55) says:

The transmission is maintenance free. There
is no need for level checks or oil changes. If a
leak occurs, replace the unit or contact your
Husqvarna dealer.

"No need for level checks" really means "there is no way to check."

Each of these transmissions has a readily-accessible breather tube. May I add fluid through this tube? If so, what fluid should be used?

Daniel B. Martin

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
This ZTR has two transmissions, one for each rear wheel. One of them has a slow leak. The Owner's Manual (page 55) says:

The transmission is maintenance free. There
is no need for level checks or oil changes. If a
leak occurs, replace the unit or contact your
Husqvarna dealer.

"No need for level checks" really means "there is no way to check."

Each of these transmissions has a readily-accessible breather tube. May I add fluid through this tube? If so, what fluid should be used?

Daniel B. Martin
Is this a new(under warranty) mower??? If so, call your dealer. If not, I don't really know except if it is a HydroGear brand combined pump/wheel motor tranny most of them use 20w50 motor oil(even though they refer to it as "hydraulic" or "hydrostat" drives which makes one think "hydraulic fluid"). But to be safe, I would at least contact a repair center or the manufacturer and confirm what to use and that you can do it like you think. Else you might cause the tranny to completely go out:0(

danielbmartin

Threads
Is this a new (under warranty) mower???
This Husky belongs to a neighbor; I handle routine maintenance for him. It is seven years old and seen hard use in that time. Hard use. I think the man mows more rocks than grass!

Daniel B . Martin

chance123

Threads
Does it have a hose that goes to a wheel motor?

danielbmartin

Threads
Does it have a hose that goes to a wheel motor?
Yes, each wheel motor has a black hose in a vertical orientation. I referred to those hoses as "breathers" in the original post. The hoses are about 1/2" diameter. I am hoping that fluid could be poured into those hoses. I'd have to guess at the amount to be added.

What fluid should be used? Automatic transmission fluid?

Daniel B. Martin

chance123

Threads
  • / Husqvarna Z4219 ZTR riding mower - transmission leak
Each wheel motor has 1 or 2 hoses on them? Is there a hydraulic oil resivour? another question would be "is the hydro system seperated by a pump and wheel motor? or is it combined.

danielbmartin

Threads
Each wheel motor has 1 or 2 hoses on them?
Each wheel motor has 1 hose.
Is there a hydraulic oil reservoir?
No.
another question would be "is the hydro system separated by a pump and wheel motor? or is it combined.
Combined.

Allowing the leak to continue will result in a dangerously low fluid level, with a consequence of friction and wear. Even though the Owner's Manual says a leaky wheel motor cannot be serviced by the owner, I am inclined to pour fluid down through the breather tube.

Since Husqvarna doesn't want owners to service wheel motors, they don't specify the proper fluid. Internet search results lead me to believe that Wolf's Head Tractor HT Fluid may be suitable. However, I find it available in 5-gallon pails for $100+, but I need only one quart. Perhaps I can find a repair shop which will sell small quantities.

Thank you for your interest. Further information and advice is welcome.

Daniel B. Martin

chance123

Threads
OK that clears a lot up. The pump & motor are one, and most likely sealed like the Toro Timecutter. The only think I might suggest is to see if possibly some of the case bolts are securely tightened. You might want to clean/wash the side that is leaking, run it for a short time and see "where" the leak originates from. It "could" even be a hairline crack.

danielbmartin

Threads
OK that clears a lot up. The pump & motor are one, and most likely sealed like the Toro Timecutter. The only think I might suggest is to see if possibly some of the case bolts are securely tightened. You might want to clean/wash the side that is leaking, run it for a short time and see "where" the leak originates from. It "could" even be a hairline crack.
Thank you for these suggestions. Even if I can stop the leak by tightening bolts, it is necessary to replenish the sealed unit to compensate for fluid which has already been lost. So the question remains: which kind of fluid should be used?

Daniel B. Martin

chance123

Threads
It just so happens that I have a timecutter in here now that has a case leak! The left drive is a Hydrogear #ZC-DFBB-5WA-3CPX
The right is #ZC-AFBB-5W5A-2CPX. What are your numbers?
There is no gasket as I have torn one down in the past. If that is similar to yours, you will need to remove it. Remove all the case bolts and "carefully" remove the case. I say carefully because of the thrust washers that "might" adhere to the case by the oil. Clean all the gasket material off of both pieces. Don't button it up yet as I am waiting on a reply from Hydro gear about "filling with oil and what kind, and capacity. It just might be easier to fill with oil while it is apart.