Husqvarna YT42XLS vs. John Deere D170?

JonLevin

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello Tractor Forum,

Well, my wife has finally given me a green light to get a brtand new lawn tractor. I love tractors, and currently have three old ones tht each break down at least once a season. I'm looking at the following: John Deere D160 or 170; Husky Yt42XLS. The John Deere seems to get pretty good reviews if you get it from a dealer. Big deck, (but a little flimsy), and pretty dependable. The Husky has a fabricated deck, a Kawasaki Twin 23 HP engine, 42 inch deck (that's all I really need for my one acre). So, on paper the Husky looks way better. But it has a lockingt differential that gets VERY mixed reviews (tears up the lawn), MAY throw belts, and the deck, though Fabriucated, MAY have weak components (e.g. the mandrels, spindles). Does anyone have any suggestions? My limit in $ is about $3,000.

Thanks for any help.

briggs

Threads
Hello Tractor Forum,

Well, my wife has finally given me a green light to get a brtand new lawn tractor. I love tractors, and currently have three old ones tht each break down at least once a season. I'm looking at the following: John Deere D160 or 170; Husky Yt42XLS. The John Deere seems to get pretty good reviews if you get it from a dealer. Big deck, (but a little flimsy), and pretty dependable. The Husky has a fabricated deck, a Kawasaki Twin 23 HP engine, 42 inch deck (that's all I really need for my one acre). So, on paper the Husky looks way better. But it has a lockingt differential that gets VERY mixed reviews (tears up the lawn), MAY throw belts, and the deck, though Fabriucated, MAY have weak components (e.g. the mandrels, spindles). Does anyone have any suggestions? My limit in $ is about $3,000.

Thanks for any help.

there both good tractors and they all have there flaws ..Most of them have components that are made off shore now allot of cheep crap ....Its a hard choice there i love JD but i am a husk fan also both work great but to be honest if cub cadet hadn't sold out i would go for them instead

JonLevin

Forum Newbie
Threads
Briggs,

Thanks for the,response.

Threads
I moved your thread to the Mower Buying & Pricing Forum. :smile:

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hello Tractor Forum,

Thanks for any help.

I too have read some of the reviews where Husky owners stated they were displeased with the locking differential hydro tranny. Not knowing any specifics I decided, after reading your post, to read the owners manual for the XLS tractors to determine whether the trannies were full-time locking or could be engaged/dis-engaged. Best I can tell there were no instructions on engaging/dis-engaging the locking differential feature so I can only assume that it is automatic/full-time. However, I did notice explicit instructions that the transmission must be purged prior to the first use for proper operation. I wonder how many of those owners experiencing problems with that tranny (A)bought the mower from a dealer who performed this as a delivery prep, or (B)read the owner manual instructions prior to using the lawn tractor and performed that procedure according to the very detailed instructions provided. Personally, I ALWAYS completely read the owner's manual of any product I purchase before I ever use it looking particularly for "before first use" instructions like this. Next time I run across a thread discussing this particular problem(locking differential on these Husky XLS lawn tractors) I will be sure to ask if the purge process was performed prior to using it. I'm no expert....but Husqvarna didn't put that in the owners manual for "no reason"!!!!
Personally, I would still lean towards purchasing and recommending any Husqvarna lawn tractors because I believe they are good quality and economical machines!!!

JonLevin

Forum Newbie
Threads
I too have read some of the reviews where Husky owners stated they were displeased with the locking differential hydro tranny. Not knowing any specifics I decided, after reading your post, to read the owners manual for the XLS tractors to determine whether the trannies were full-time locking or could be engaged/dis-engaged. Best I can tell there were no instructions on engaging/dis-engaging the locking differential feature so I can only assume that it is automatic/full-time. However, I did notice explicit instructions that the transmission must be purged prior to the first use for proper operation. I wonder how many of those owners experiencing problems with that tranny (A)bought the mower from a dealer who performed this as a delivery prep, or (B)read the owner manual instructions prior to using the lawn tractor and performed that procedure according to the very detailed instructions provided. Personally, I ALWAYS completely read the owner's manual of any product I purchase before I ever use it looking particularly for "before first use" instructions like this. Next time I run across a thread discussing this particular problem(locking differential on these Husky XLS lawn tractors) I will be sure to ask if the purge process was performed prior to using it. I'm no expert....but Husqvarna didn't put that in the owners manual for "no reason"!!!!
Personally, I would still lean towards purchasing and recommending any Husqvarna lawn tractors because I believe they are good quality and economical machines!!!

What a fantastic response!! Many thanks.

HoboDewey

Forum Newbie
Threads

Unfortunately, Consumer Reports gave both John Deere and Husqvarna a poor rating for poor quality needing repairs in the first 6 months. I was surprised that they gave Toro and Craftsman the highest marks for quality. Really you say? That's what I thought when I read their latest reviews for ZTR's.

mullins87

Threads
As you can tell by my sig, I'm partial to the JD's. However, given similar pricing, and the smaller deck of the Husky not being an issue for you, then I'd recommend the Husky simply for the fabricated deck and Kawasaki engine.

Jimmyjo

Threads
>My Husqvarna is the YT46LS. I purchased it over the Cub Cadet becouse of the locking locking trans. My yard has many mature trees to mow around an the locking trans would not unlock on grass. it would just make the front wheel plow even at a crawl pace. The dealer offered to remove it for a nonlocking version at Husqvarna expense. Traction was only an issue for less than 5% of my mowing so I had it changed out. Now it works well and for traction I'm useing some Cayman KT tires from my Gator. In fact when I picked the tractor up the dealer informed me that he was instructed to remove the locking trans from all his stock. This maybe an option for you as well. I looked at the Deeres also and really liked the Husqvarna better.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
>My Husqvarna is the YT46LS. I purchased it over the Cub Cadet becouse of the locking locking trans. My yard has many mature trees to mow around an the locking trans would not unlock on grass. it would just make the front wheel plow even at a crawl pace. The dealer offered to remove it for a nonlocking version at Husqvarna expense. Traction was only an issue for less than 5% of my mowing so I had it changed out. Now it works well and for traction I'm useing some Cayman KT tires from my Gator. In fact when I picked the tractor up the dealer informed me that he was instructed to remove the locking trans from all his stock. This maybe an option for you as well. I looked at the Deeres also and really liked the Husqvarna better.

Personally, I still believe that under different conditions that the locking differential would be a good thing. If Husqvarna is still delivering the LS/XLS tractors with them and the dealers give you the option to "try it first, and if unhappy Husqvarna will give us approval to replace it", that would be what I would want to do and what I would recommend as a purchase negotiation.