Husqvarna mz61 Briggs 27 vs Kawasaki 24

Johnus43

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm thinking of buying this mower. I mow about 4-5 acres. I have what I call my golf range which is basically a 4 acre run out hay field that I mow. It is flat but sometimes it gets a little thick. The Briggs is $200 less and has more horse power. I have heard good things about the Kawasaki and mixed things on the Briggs. I'm worried a little about it being under powered at 24hp for a 61" deck. It seems like most 60" plus decks have a bigger engine. Any advice would be appreciated.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Read reviews at bottom of page, then take your time reading reviews of other ztr's. Just google ztr's, read reviews, go to dealers and try them out, I believe you'll be glad you did, it takes time and patience. A respectable dealer will be more than happy to assist you, also check for ztr promotions and incentives going on.HUSQVARNA MZ 61 - Zero turn mowers

Last edited:

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm thinking of buying this mower. I mow about 4-5 acres. I have what I call my golf range which is basically a 4 acre run out hay field that I mow. It is flat but sometimes it gets a little thick. The Briggs is $200 less and has more horse power. I have heard good things about the Kawasaki and mixed things on the Briggs. I'm worried a little about it being under powered at 24hp for a 61" deck. It seems like most 60" plus decks have a bigger engine. Any advice would be appreciated.

HP is not what you should be worried about...it's the torque rating. The Kawasaki's have more torque than similar sized(CC's) B & S engines. My 52" Gravely has a 22hp Kawasaki FX691V and it has NEVER had the slightest sound of straining(even cutting through 8" windrows...that's no exaggeration) before I installed the mulch kit. The torque rating would be the reason the B & S is $200 less.

740jsmayle

Threads
I thought the same thing but after using my mz-t 61 with the 23 HP Kawasaki it has never struggled . I'm very pleased with the way it has performed.

ddbtdd

Threads
As a home owner I think it is a matter of preference.
I've heard people complain to no end about Briggs.

Lately I've heard a few complaints about the FX series Kaw.
This is the first time I've owned a Kaw and I 'm not worried.

Most of my other mowers had Briggs and they treated me well.
I would by another Briggs without hesitation.

I think the mz originally came with a 25hp Kohler.
Like I've said, everyone makes a great mower until it breaks down.
If you have the extra $200.00 to spend, I say go for the Kaw.
Whatever you do, Just take care of it.

Tindal

Threads
I have had the briggs on the MZ for 3 years now , its a great engine with lots of power . I have a 1988 sears 18-44 and the carb has never been cleaned . it runs as good as it did when i bought it new. I have had better luck with Briggs than with other engines . I have a twin Kohler(not the courage) that backfires every time i turn it off,altough I have never had any problems with it . My Dads Kohler has the magnets come loose from the flywheel . Not good !
I will take the briggs . you really dont here a lot of problems with them.

Tater

Threads
I've not had any problem with my 28 hp Briggs (+/- 175 hrs.) on my 2011 MZ-61... A friend that has a cycle shop told me that he blew the Kaw. engine on his mower (brand????) and to replace it a Kaw. was way higher, he replaced the Kaw. with the much cheaper Briggs...
Have a good one...Tater...