Export thread

Husqvarna mz61 Briggs 27 vs Kawasaki 24

J

Johnus43

I'm thinking of buying this mower. I mow about 4-5 acres. I have what I call my golf range which is basically a 4 acre run out hay field that I mow. It is flat but sometimes it gets a little thick. The Briggs is $200 less and has more horse power. I have heard good things about the Kawasaki and mixed things on the Briggs. I'm worried a little about it being under powered at 24hp for a 61" deck. It seems like most 60" plus decks have a bigger engine. Any advice would be appreciated.

M

mechanic mark

Read reviews at bottom of page, then take your time reading reviews of other ztr's. Just google ztr's, read reviews, go to dealers and try them out, I believe you'll be glad you did, it takes time and patience. A respectable dealer will be more than happy to assist you, also check for ztr promotions and incentives going on.HUSQVARNA MZ 61 - Zero turn mowers

djdicetn

djdicetn

I'm thinking of buying this mower. I mow about 4-5 acres. I have what I call my golf range which is basically a 4 acre run out hay field that I mow. It is flat but sometimes it gets a little thick. The Briggs is $200 less and has more horse power. I have heard good things about the Kawasaki and mixed things on the Briggs. I'm worried a little about it being under powered at 24hp for a 61" deck. It seems like most 60" plus decks have a bigger engine. Any advice would be appreciated.

HP is not what you should be worried about...it's the torque rating. The Kawasaki's have more torque than similar sized(CC's) B & S engines. My 52" Gravely has a 22hp Kawasaki FX691V and it has NEVER had the slightest sound of straining(even cutting through 8" windrows...that's no exaggeration) before I installed the mulch kit. The torque rating would be the reason the B & S is $200 less.

740jsmayle

740jsmayle

I thought the same thing but after using my mz-t 61 with the 23 HP Kawasaki it has never struggled . I'm very pleased with the way it has performed.

D

ddbtdd

As a home owner I think it is a matter of preference.
I've heard people complain to no end about Briggs.

Lately I've heard a few complaints about the FX series Kaw.
This is the first time I've owned a Kaw and I 'm not worried.

Most of my other mowers had Briggs and they treated me well.
I would by another Briggs without hesitation.

I think the mz originally came with a 25hp Kohler.
Like I've said, everyone makes a great mower until it breaks down.
If you have the extra $200.00 to spend, I say go for the Kaw.
Whatever you do, Just take care of it.

T

Tindal

I have had the briggs on the MZ for 3 years now , its a great engine with lots of power . I have a 1988 sears 18-44 and the carb has never been cleaned . it runs as good as it did when i bought it new. I have had better luck with Briggs than with other engines . I have a twin Kohler(not the courage) that backfires every time i turn it off,altough I have never had any problems with it . My Dads Kohler has the magnets come loose from the flywheel . Not good !
I will take the briggs . you really dont here a lot of problems with them.

T

Tater

I've not had any problem with my 28 hp Briggs (+/- 175 hrs.) on my 2011 MZ-61... A friend that has a cycle shop told me that he blew the Kaw. engine on his mower (brand????) and to replace it a Kaw. was way higher, he replaced the Kaw. with the much cheaper Briggs...
Have a good one...Tater...