Husqvarna belt snapped

oliver_cfc

Threads
It's a riding mower - a Husqvarna YTH2448. Probably an '05 or '06 model, not 100% sure.

I was happily mowing my lawn when one of the belts snapped. I untangled and removed it but now the engine doesn't move forward or backward when I release the brake.

Am I correct in assuming this is the 'drive' belt? The blades don't spin either, but the belt does seem to be in place there and I'm assuming it's all hooked in somehow.

If it is the drive belt, is this something an amateur can replace? My level of expertise is rather low - I've changed the oil, but nothing much else.

Thanks

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
probably a drive belt.....but pictures would help greatly.......it could have knocked blade belt off or clutch harness when this happened....i believe you have an electric blade clutch.....to clarify..it runs but wont move..yes?.....

oliver_cfc

Threads
probably a drive belt.....but pictures would help greatly.......it could have knocked blade belt off or clutch harness when this happened....i believe you have an electric blade clutch.....to clarify..it runs but wont move..yes?.....

Thanks for responding... and yes, the engine runs with no problems but won't move.

The thing that is throwing me is the manual describes three types of belt:
* mower drive belt
* mower blade secondary drive belt
* motion drive belt

I've kind of ruled out the mower blade belt because I can see that it appears to still be in place and I'm leaning towards the mower drive belt because the blades don't spin when the engine is on.

I'll try and get some pictures tomorrow and attach them

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
yeah...they like to make up they're own names for everything.....motion drive is your transmission belt [probably your problem..but with all the electrical down there it might be a broken wiring harness too]...your deck has 2 "mower" belts for the blades..keep us informed:smile:

oliver_cfc

Threads
sorry for the delay, but I finally got around to taking a closer look.

I removed the mower and the belts there look ok
CIMG0035.jpg

Looking at the manual on page 22, I think I do need to replace the mower drive belt bashed on these pictures

Front view (that is the left wheel you can see, it was taken from the right hand side of the mower):
CIMG0031.jpg

Middle view (this shows another belt that is place - I'm assuming it's the motion drive belt on page 23 of the manual):
CIMG0032.jpg

Back view (that is the left rear wheel... you can see the frayed belt still hanging):
CIMG0033.jpg

My main problem now is that the belt is totally wrapped around something in the back... I think I need to invest in a mojack or something to get a better view

Here's a picture of the part of the belt I have removed to show you what I'm dealing with
CIMG0030.jpg

Manual
View attachment yth2448_manual.pdf

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
great pictures!...looks like your transmission belt survived.....and you lost your engine to deck belt....but why?...did you find any guides or sharp metal that could have done this?....does your mower still not move when you release clutch?....looks like the broken belt is stuck in your tranny pulley...

oliver_cfc

Threads
great pictures!...looks like your transmission belt survived.....and you lost your engine to deck belt....but why?...did you find any guides or sharp metal that could have done this?....does your mower still not move when you release clutch?....looks like the broken belt is stuck in your tranny pulley...

why? No clue. It's a 2004 model mower and I've certainly never changed the belts before (although I did pay for a service a couple of years back - I don't remember what that entailed though.) I'm assuming it was just old age.

The only odd thing I did find was some hard plastic wedged in the mower part... I'm not convinced that's anything other than coincidence though. It was about the size of a quarter but it did have some sharp edges.

TBH, I haven't tried starting the engine up for a few days. I think I'll try and get the old belt out first and sharpen the blades

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
it doesnt take much to shred a belt... something sharp...well anyways...yes.. remove the old junk and see if it drives fine before you put the deck back on..and well go from there:smile:

Threads
I have that same Husquavana mower and the Mower Deck belt shreedded within weeks of buying it new at Lowes.

I looked for a new Hysquavana belt and lucky that Lowes did not have them.

You can get a much better Kevlar heavy duty industrial belt at NAPA auto parts. Ye they run over $30 but they last. try to find a Dayco Kevlar belt.

had the same problem with the 4 diifferent Wheel Whores that I owned before. ( best Wheelwhore was a 1958 Cast Iron 6 speed that gave respectable service till the transaxle let go. Worst was the 20 hp Hydromatic that blew an engine on its 2nd season. Piece of Crap.

Hysquavana mower deck lasted about 1 year before it fell off. The welds were trash and when I called for warrenty they told me I had to take it to a "servicing Deale" 50 miles away. Hell with that I took out my tig welded and made them right.

Next tractor will mostly be something like a Kubota or Kioti.

Attachments

• 8363ea579af84d73dd393a862d21908c_view.jpg
    8363ea579af84d73dd393a862d21908c_view.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 19

oliver_cfc

Threads
I have that same Husquavana mower and the Mower Deck belt shreedded within weeks of buying it new at Lowes.

I looked for a new Hysquavana belt and lucky that Lowes did not have them.

You can get a much better Kevlar heavy duty industrial belt at NAPA auto parts. Ye they run over $30 but they last. try to find a Dayco Kevlar belt.

Thanks for the advice... the belts at Lowes are ~$30 anyway. How do I know what length to get or is 48" (mowing deck) a standard thing?