husqvarna 52inch deck spindle problem

cjpik

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 52 inch 3 blade deck and the outboard (discharge side) side spindle keeps failing. This occurs twice every season. I have replaced the entire assembly and have rebuilt some. Any ideas as to what else I can look at?

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have a 52 inch 3 blade deck and the outboard (discharge side) side spindle keeps failing. This occurs twice every season. I have replaced the entire assembly and have rebuilt some. Any ideas as to what else I can look at?

Is it the bearings going bad or the spindle breaking?

cjpik

Forum Newbie
Threads
Is it the bearings going bad or the spindle breaking?

It keep chewing up the bearings. This last time it tore the bearing right out of the top of the spindle, The belt is on correct.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Sorry if I ask a lot of questions.

There are few things that tear up bearings.

Blades not balanced.
Cutting thick tall grass. Or wet grass.

Hitting things.
Bent shaft.

The outside/ chute side spindle takes the most abuse.

When you put the top pulley on are you putting a washer between the pulley and bearing or just a spacer? And you should not reuse the spacer that goes in the spindle between the blades.
I am thinking it is not bad blades because it's only the one going bad.

I have a husqvarna 24/48 that was doing this. I solved it by using a better bearing.

Oregon makes real good bearings.

I get my bearings from dalton bearing.
I use what they say is the best sealed bearing made. Only $14 each.

Check the pulley makes sure it is not bent

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
most likely the spacer between the pulley and the top bearing is either missing or damaged. The pulley could also be damaged at this point due to issues with the spindle.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
If both bearing outer races are a press fit, the bearings will have an amount of side thrust that ball bearings can't tolerate very long. That is unless you have measuring equipment that reads to 0.0001. If they were that way from the factory the factory' they got lucky and you did too.

If one bearing is a press fit and one a push fit install the press fit bearing first being certain the outer race bottoms in the housing. Install the second bearing being sure you've previously put the spacer sleeve in.

Position the second bearing anywhere in its bore and when the sheave nut or the blade nut ( on some ) is tightened that bearing will find its home in the right place without either bearing having any side thrust at all.