HTR 3009 starting problem

Carbonared

Forum Newbie
Threads
I bought a 1988 HTR 3009 and am the original owner - it has served me well.

A couple of weeks ago I smelled fuel and it appeared to be coming out from the float bowl. I decided to take the carburetor apart and check for wear. Nothing looked out of the ordinary but I replaced all gaskets and seals and reinstalled. I also added a new spark plug.

Still wouldn’t start and when I came back for another try a couple hours later I noticed the fuel smell again and found it was leaking in the reservoir located near the carburetor. It was leaking where the hose enters the reservoir so I assume the gas was over full.

I removed the carb once again and checked the float and needle. It seemed to be ok. I blew air through the fuel line entering with the float relaxed and could feel air then when I lifted the float no air got through.

The starter and battery seem fine - it turns over with no issues but won’t start. I’m thinking of buying a new carburetor but not sure if that’s the issue. My other option is to call a local mobile mechanic. If anyone has an idea of what is wrong I’d like to hear it. Thanks in advance!