HRX2173HYA oil leak

Bullitt66

Threads
Hi
I just used my brand new HRX2173HYA for the first time. After I finished mowing I wiped down the mower. I noticed a little bit of oil leaking out of the front of the engine. I wiped it dry and started it again. A little more oil appeared. This is not from filling the mower. I was very careful when I filled it. I checked the level and it seems fine. Any ideas? Or should I go exchange it for another.

Thanks

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If this is an overhead engine it is probably coming from the valve cover, but that said do not try to repair. This is a warranty issue and if you do any work on it, you will void your entire warranty. Take it back to where you bought it, I hope it was a dealer, and have the dealer repair it or the big box store REPLACE IT.

Bullitt66

Threads
After doing a little research, do you think there may be too much oil in it?
I'm going to try draining some out tonight and see what happens. If that doesn't work I'll return it.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
By your response, I guess you brought it at a big box store and had to set it up yourself. You would have to have over filled a lot to cause leakage. Just return it.

Bullitt66

Threads
Rivets said:
By your response, I guess you brought it at a big box store and had to set it up yourself. You would have to have over filled a lot to cause leakage. Just return it.

Got home from work, drained about 4oz of oil out. Cleaned the deck thoroughly, blew out around the left front deck bolt which had oil collected around it. Started it up and let it run a while. All looked good. Checked the oil, it was still in range on he stick. Started it back up let it run a little more, looked good. Cleaned up my stuff and took another look before I put it away, and a little oil is running down the engine base towards the deck. Got the box out, put it in the car and back to the store it went. Got my new one home, fired it up for a few minutes, looks good so far. I'll check it after the first cut.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
The GCV engines on all (but 1) of the current model Honda mowers use a liquid gasket to bond the valve cover to the top of the cylinder head. As you might guess, try as the factory might, every once in a while one gets out the door without a perfect seal. I think the track records is quite good; this is the first one I've heard of (brand new) that's ever leaked, but glad to hear it got resolved.

Now my son just took my HRX to his new duplex away at college to do some yard work, "Dad, I got the back yard done, but when I pulled the handle to do the front yard, the handle broke off the rope and the rope whipped deep inside the top of the engine! Is that a problem?" :rolleyes::rolleyes: