HRT216SDA Throws belt NEED HELP PLEASE

fotch

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a HONDA HARMONY II model HRT216SDA ser# MZCG-6035472 mower that throws belt over and over. I tried 2 new belts and neither will stay on mower once I pull the drive bar. It will pull itself about 2 or3 feet then throws the belt. The belt will stay on when just running the engine. I have a pic. of the mower bottom and maybe you can tell me if it looks right. The belt in the pic is a old belt which has been replaced

Attachments

• mow3.jpg
    mow3.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 45
  • mow1.jpg
    mow1.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 33
  • mow2.jpg
    mow2.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads

fotch

Forum Newbie
Threads
First, replace blade with new Honda OEM blade.

Honda Power Equipment HRT216 SDA TRANSMISSION (1) | CyclePartsNation Honda Parts Nation adjust belt tension per Honda manual after installing new belt

Honda Power Equipment HRT216 SDA TRANSMISSION (1) | CyclePartsNation Honda Parts Nation inspect pulleys for wear also, these folks have best prices on Honda parts, are quick & ship UPS GROUND to your door. Let us know how it goes, thanks.

As far as the new blade can I buy the single blade or do I need to get the double blade setup like it has on it now? Also I cant find anything about adjusting belt tension in my owners manual or information online. I wrote Honda twice and got no answer. Thanks for taking time to answer me. Fotch

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Belt throwing is nearly always caused by pulley mis-alignment. With the motion lever engaged, put a straight edge across the 2 pulleys to check for alignment. If a straight edge isn't possible a string stretched tight and a little skill will suffice as a straight edge.

fotch

Forum Newbie
Threads
Belt throwing is nearly always caused by pulley mis-alignment. With the motion lever engaged, put a straight edge across the 2 pulleys to check for alignment. If a straight edge isn't possible a string stretched tight and a little skill will suffice as a straight edge.

I thought about the pully alingment before. One thing I noticed when pulling the forward bar, It moves the lever on top of the trans. then pulls just a little further which tilts the trans forward a little. This of coarse tilts the trans pulley forward a little. I thought this may be the problem so I ran the adjustment screw from loose to tight trying different positions and the pulley still tilts when pulling the go bar all the way. I was told there is suppose to be a stop you can buy that will stop the tilt but I cant find out who sells it. Anyone heard of that?? Should I try another new cable? Thanks Fotch

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Honda Power Equipment HRT216 SDA TRANSMISSION (1) | CyclePartsNation Honda Parts Nation blades 3 & 15 in diagram are one & the same, blade 4 is used along with blade 3 for mulching. In the transmission diagram I posted above bolt 5 is used to adjust belt tension. If you are not mulching, a new blade 3 will be ok to use. Be sure to inspect all parts including pulley in this diagram for wear & torque blade bolts to Honda specs.
http://cdn.powerequipment.honda.com/pe/pdf/manuals/31VG4600.pdf page 38, if you do not have a torque wrench you can rent one at any auto parts for a small fee.

fotch

Forum Newbie
Threads
Honda Power Equipment HRT216 SDA TRANSMISSION (1) | CyclePartsNation Honda Parts Nation blades 3 & 15 in diagram are one & the same, blade 4 is used along with blade 3 for mulching. In the transmission diagram I posted above bolt 5 is used to adjust belt tension. If you are not mulching, a new blade 3 will be ok to use. Be sure to inspect all parts including pulley in this diagram for wear & torque blade bolts to Honda specs.
http://cdn.powerequipment.honda.com/pe/pdf/manuals/31VG4600.pdf page 38, if you do not have a torque wrench you can rent one at any auto parts for a small fee.

I found in another forum that my model mower has the problem of throwing the belt and you can buy a part honda made for belt throwing. Honda has a $15 stopper kit 06915-VG4-305 that includes a stopper collar (a new part) and three washers. I ordered it tonight I will let yall know if it stops my problem. I also found that honda has a recall for the HRT216 SDA fuel tank. They replace it for free. Mine leaks so we'll see what they do for me. FOTCH

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
I also found that honda has a recall for the HRT216 SDA fuel tank.

Yes, your mower's serial number is part of a group affected by the recall for a possible fuel tank leakage. Please do NOT use the mower until it has bee inspected and updated for this important safety recall by an authorized Honda dealer.

Honda's records indicate your mower has NOT been updated / inspected. Please use this link below to locate and then contact your local Honda dealer to arrange fo the update. Be sure to select LAWN MOWERS and check off the SERVICE box:

Find A Honda Dealer

Honda will inspect and update your mower at no charge; please discuss any other service issues with the dealer before authorizing any billable work.

fotch

Forum Newbie
Threads
I found in another forum that my model mower has the problem of throwing the belt and you can buy a part honda made for belt throwing. Honda has a $15 stopper kit 06915-VG4-305 that includes a stopper collar (a new part) and three washers. I ordered it tonight I will let yall know if it stops my problem. I also found that honda has a recall for the HRT216 SDA fuel tank. They replace it for free. Mine leaks so we'll see what they do for me. FOTCH

My belt problem is solved!! I ordered the stopper kit installed it in less than 10 min. and the belt hasn't come off again. I also contacted my Honda dealer and told them about the gas tank recall I found out about and they ordered me a new one and the replacement is free including labor!! Thanks for yalls help. Fotch:smile:

fotch

Forum Newbie
Threads
I got my belt throwing problem stopped by using the $15 stopper kit 06915-VG4-305 . I seem to have come up with another problem. My engine seems to only come up to half speed when I push the lever all the way up. I have a new carburetor installed so I dont think its that. I traced and lubricated the throttle cable and it goes as far as the fittings allow. I tried adjusting the cable and it didn't help. At full throttle it runs slow and when I pull the lever back to the slow end it cuts off when it is only half way back. The engine will rev up when I push the governor arm. What should I look for now? Thanks Fotch