HRR2167 mower running terribly....

OklahomaDave

Threads
Greetings all

Have a problematic HRR2167 mower with a GCV160 engine that has started giving me real performance problems.

This is my third summer with the monster, and each year its given fresh regular unleaded gas and fresh oil. It mows a very simple, relatively flat residential yard, and has worked well until this summer, when I noticed it started to run really rough - black smoke, surging, the works.

First stop - spark plug. Existing plug fairly sooty, new plug installed. Runs - a little better, but not much. Not what I'm accustomed to. Next, air filter: Still virtually pristine - can easily see light through it. No real difference running with the filter completely off. With the presentation of black smoke, I start thinking actual carburetor plugging issues. So I tear it down, and notice the carb looks really clean, but I take it apart and clean it anyway.
No joy.

If anything, it starts to run worse, surging worse, so I run the fuel tank dry and get absolutely new, fresh gas - still no joy.

I'm no mechanic, but I've read at least enough to check out these few things, and with the beast still running rough, I'm out of ideas.

Is there something out of the box I'm just overlooking?

Thanks for any advice.

sea157

Forum Newbie
Threads
I would say your jets in the carb are clogged.
When you cleaned the carb. did you blow compressed air through the jets?

OklahomaDave

Threads
I would say your jets in the carb are clogged.
When you cleaned the carb. did you blow compressed air through the jets?

Hi, sea157 and thanks for the reply. Absolutely did blow compressed air through the jets when I cleaned the carb. Used air, carb cleaner, cleaned inside/out.

And in case I didn't make it clear in the original post, I've used no ethanol in the mower at all.

sea157

Forum Newbie
Threads
If you are sure you have the carburetor clean then make sure the choke is coming all the way open once it is warmed up.
Black smoke is coming from a carburetor rich condition.
I am sure your problem is in the carburetor somewhere.

shacky

Threads
Did you use all new gaskets for carb?

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you are sure you have the carburetor clean then make sure the choke is coming all the way open once it is warmed up.
Black smoke is coming from a carburetor rich condition.

This ^^^^ +100

A closed or partially-closed choke on a warm engine will result in a too-rich fuel state, which can cause the engine to run poorly and quickly foul the spark plug. Black smoke is indeed a solid indicator of a too-rich state (too much fuel, not enough air). A clogged air filter can also cause this condition.

OklahomaDave

Threads
Hey everyone...thought I would update this thread.

I ordered a new carb for my mower (which I'm embarrassed to admit is actually a HRR2168, not 7), and it was backordered. Took nearly two weeks to arrive. Came in yesterday, installed it.

Mixed results.

The good:

* The horrible running condition exhibited before (that precipitated the problem in the first place) is almost entirely cured. No more puffing and coughing, no more black smoke. I was able to mow the grass with my mower for the first time in about ten days.

The bad:

* Note I said "almost" cured...Welll, the engine starts, and initially runs fine...put it under load with the blade engaged, it runs great and mows like a monster. But....when I disengage the blade clutch to empty the bag, now with the engine warm, the engine repeatedly surges and slows..surges and slows...at about two (?) second intervals. Put it back under load (re-engage the clutch) and it runs fine.

Sooo...any new thoughts? I can mow again, but obviously the beast isn't yet entirely healthy. Can't declare victory quite yet.

Vanousb

Threads
Hey everyone...thought I would update this thread. I ordered a new carb for my mower (which I'm embarrassed to admit is actually a HRR2168, not 7), and it was backordered. Took nearly two weeks to arrive. Came in yesterday, installed it. Mixed results. The good: * The horrible running condition exhibited before (that precipitated the problem in the first place) is almost entirely cured. No more puffing and coughing, no more black smoke. I was able to mow the grass with my mower for the first time in about ten days. The bad: * Note I said "almost" cured...Welll, the engine starts, and initially runs fine...put it under load with the blade engaged, it runs great and mows like a monster. But....when I disengage the blade clutch to empty the bag, now with the engine warm, the engine repeatedly surges and slows..surges and slows...at about two (?) second intervals. Put it back under load (re-engage the clutch) and it runs fine. Sooo...any new thoughts? I can mow again, but obviously the beast isn't yet entirely healthy. Can't declare victory quite yet.
check gaskets and check thottle cable connection at carb. I had same issue and found i had hooked the throttle cable into the wrong hole on carb after a carb replacement and the govenor was going nuts causing surge. Fixed it for me. A handa guy (robert) was a huge help for me on here. Was resurecting a hrt216tda self propelled. Run great now. Found a bag on craigslist to pick up as finishing touch tomorrow.

Last edited:

Mystik2stroke

Threads
Hi_
The other posters mentioned the auto choke malfunctioning-did you ask the dealer about the service bulletin regarding the auto choke problems Honda did have?

The surging condition is due to lean(less fuel) carb settings by Honda to satisfy the EPA, the dealer will state this is "normal". It can be corrected by adjusting the jetting (pilot jet), but you should seek out a good mower mechanic for that.

You have /had 2 separate issues- the auto choke , then the carb jetting (dealer wll say it's not a problem, that's your call if it irritates you enough).