HRN 216 engine issue?

aardvark

Forum Newbie
Threads
I picked up this HRN 216 used. Couple years old. Guy said it had been recently serviced and had no issues. It started and ran without any problems although he didn't run it long.

After running for 15-20 seconds, the engine stops running smoothly. It pulsates? Drained the (bad) gas, blew out the fuel lines. Changed the spark plug. Changed the oil. The carb doesn't look bad?

We've also just run it, used it to mow, to see if it would warm up out of this. Nope.

Hopefully I can attach a video. Nope, how about a YouTube link?

Nothing is being asked of the mower here. There's a clamp on the blade control handle to keep it running for the video.

What's next?

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Guy said it had been recently serviced and had no issues.
I found the receipt where Helen Keller serviced it. Yup she is all good.

After running for 15-20 seconds, the engine stops running smoothly. It pulsates?
Clean carb or buy new a OEM. Install new fuel lines from tank to carb. Flush out fuel tank.
Changed the spark plug.
Rarely ever go bad. Keep the old one.
Changed the oil.
Okay we are on to something. How about those cooling fins? Not related to your issue but needs investigated.
The carb doesn't look bad?
On the outside maybe. What counts is on the inside.

aardvark

Forum Newbie
Threads
Alright, think I got it. Cleaned the carb per the pinned directions here. Still didn't look bad--maybe the seller tried and missed something? But seems to be running much better. Hooray!

I found the receipt where Helen Keller serviced it. Yup she is all good.

Yeah, right? Certainly not one of my better purchases. Oh well, live and learn.

Back44L&G

Threads
It may need a replacement Thermowax cartridge for the Auto Choke system- a surging engine at startup is the primary symptom.