HRM215 SXA self-propel needs help

JohnP

Threads
I have an older HRM215 SXA mower. The self-propel mechanism works but sometimes it slips, more so when the bag gets full, and requires me to help it by pushing to get the mower started. Does anyone know the cause? Could it be a slipping belt or is it likely something more serious? Thanks.

JP

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have an older HRM215 SXA mower. The self-propel mechanism works but sometimes it slips, more so when the bag gets full, and requires me to help it by pushing to get the mower started. Does anyone know the cause? Could it be a slipping belt or is it likely something more serious? Thanks.

JP

There are some things to check on this model for poor drive performance, but it depends on which batch/version you have. Share the full serial number with me, and I'll pull up the service details.

For example, early production models had a drive clutch lever that could break at a weld, causing less the full engagement of the clutch.

lmserialnumber_zps63822669.jpg

JohnP

Threads
Tom,

I checked the cable adjustment and it is to spec.

Robert,

Frame s/n is MZBB-6004054.

Thanks for your help!

JP

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Tom,

I checked the cable adjustment and it is to spec.

Robert,

Frame s/n is MZBB-6004054.

Thanks for your help!

JP

Okay, so that's a "K0" or first production model of the HRM series.

First thing to check is the drive clutch lever/bar on the handlebar for broken/bent weld joint. This would prevent the cable from fulling engaging the transmission...seem like if the cable is adjusted to spec, it should not matter, but check it anyway to be sure:
27584527485_72de5d3c3d_o.png

Next, the shop manual say to check the drive belt, then for a possible internal fault in the trans. Early versions of this Tuff Torque transmission had service parts, but they have long been discontinued, so now only an entire replacement transmission is available. :mad: Honda Part Number 06200-VE2-802 list price $139.29.

Looks like you are the original owner, John? 5/1/1992...still on Union Street? Almost 25 years is pretty good service for a mower transmission. If the rest of the mower is in good condition, might be worth throwing in a new trans.

JohnP

Threads
Tom,

I stand corrected. I thought the cable was adjusted correctly but tightening it solved the problem. Thanks for the suggestion!

Robert,

Yes, I'm the original owner. No longer on Union Street but now live only about a mile away. It has been a great mower. Only repair up til now has been to replace the coil.

John

Pumper54

Threads
John,
Glad to see you got it figured out. Enjoy your mower for years to come.

Tom