HRC216HXA

rainman1442

Threads
I've had mower since '09 and it's been great. Recently, the yellow blade control button keeps "popping" and disengages the blade while I have the handle compressed. I can't see what is causing this to happen but it is annoying as it does it many times while cutting. Does anyone have experience with this or know what to do to resolve the problem? Thanks.

Threads
I've had mower since '09 and it's been great. Recently, the yellow blade control button keeps "popping" and disengages the blade while I have the handle compressed. I can't see what is causing this to happen but it is annoying as it does it many times while cutting. Does anyone have experience with this or know what to do to resolve the problem? Thanks.

Sometimes this happens to me, but I think it's when I go over a big bump and I don't make sure the blade control bar stays tight against the handle.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads

Certain units were reported to have an issue with the yellow Roto-Stop button disengaging and Honda issued a Service Bulletin (not a safety recall; they are different) back in November 2009. Your HRC might have been in that batch, so let's start with the serial number off the back of the mower deck; it is in the form of "MAKA-1234567"

Certain parts of the handlebar/control might have been made out of spec, and can be modified as a countermeasure to the problem. In some cases, the entire upper handlebar must be replaced, but others only require a modification to the lever to solve the problem.

This repair procedure should only be done by a trained Honda dealer. If you'll also share your ZIP code, I can find the closest one to you.

rainman1442

Threads
Thanks for your reply. I have 2 mowers...both model HRC2163HXA. The 1st serial # is MAKA 1077993 and is the one with the issue. The other #MAKA 1059147 also will disengage but not as often as the other. Both mowers were bought at American Rent All in Cumberland MD 21502. Thanks for any further information.

Tim

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
HRC2163HXA. The 1st serial # is MAKA 1077993 and is the one with the issue. The other #MAKA 1059147
Tim

Tim, both of those are in the effected range of mowers that could have the "unintentional Roto-Stop Disengagement" problem. The only way to know for sure is to have them fully inspected and evaluated by a Honda dealer. Since these mowers are out of warranty, Honda handles possible goodwill on a case-by-case basis. When you arrange to have the mowers inspected, have the dealer refer to Honda Lawn Mower Service Bulletin #91 from November 2009. Mention to the dealer you understand some goodwill / help maybe available, but please understand it must happen after the units have been inspected, and the dealer may need to contact Honda's Dealer Techline for authorization to process any out-of-warranty goodwill repairs.

To find a dealer in your area, use this link; be sure to check off MOWERS and enter your ZIP code:

Find A Honda Dealer

The fix can vary a bit; in minor cases, a precision bend/modification to a contact point near the Roto-Stop button can solve the problem. In more severe instances, a complete replacement of the handlebar is required.

Best of luck Tim!