HRC215 No Power when Hot and blade engaged

dachrist28

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey everyone

I have an HRC215 that has been running great for years, until this year. It always starts on the first or second pull, cold or hot, and runs great when the blade is engaged when it is cold. After cutting for about 20 to 30 minutes, the motor seems to labor when the blade is engaged. When stopping the blade, the motor runs great, and if you shut it off when it is hot, it starts right back up without a problem. However when you engage the blade when it is hot, the motor really struggles to bring the RPM's back, and when you start to mow it really slows down. If you let the motor cool down and then restart, you have full power again. I checked the governor linkage, and it is fully engaged when the blade is engaged (it is trying to keep the motor at top RPM). The spark plug looks great (tan colored), and the fuel is fresh, the air cleaner is new as of last year. Not sure what else to look at?

KrashnKraka

Threads
Hey everyone

I have an HRC215 that has been running great for years, until this year. It always starts on the first or second pull, cold or hot, and runs great when the blade is engaged when it is cold. After cutting for about 20 to 30 minutes, the motor seems to labor when the blade is engaged.
[..]
Not sure what else to look at?

Trans is screwed over, friend.
<Robert Honda> is in the workshop glueing up adjustment
screw covers... he wont be long, fix you right up.

Gotta luuurve them Hondas..grey plugs after all that work..fantastic!

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Which exact HRC215 model do you have? I have tech data only on USA models...the full serial number off the back of the mower deck will help. It should be in the form of MXXX-1234567.

FYI, USA-spec HRC215 models were sold as both push and self-propelled versions.

glue%20gun_zpscwq6jsva.jpg
:tongue: :tongue:

dachrist28

Forum Newbie
Threads
Its the HRC215K1SXA, with the 2 speed transmission (not hydrostatic). I would get the serial number but it is at my cottage right now.

dfbrown

Threads
Hey everyone

I have an HRC215 that has been running great for years, until this year. It always starts on the first or second pull, cold or hot, and runs great when the blade is engaged when it is cold. After cutting for about 20 to 30 minutes, the motor seems to labor when the blade is engaged. When stopping the blade, the motor runs great, and if you shut it off when it is hot, it starts right back up without a problem. However when you engage the blade when it is hot, the motor really struggles to bring the RPM's back, and when you start to mow it really slows down. If you let the motor cool down and then restart, you have full power again. I checked the governor linkage, and it is fully engaged when the blade is engaged (it is trying to keep the motor at top RPM). The spark plug looks great (tan colored), and the fuel is fresh, the air cleaner is new as of last year. Not sure what else to look at?

I had a hr214sx that did the EXACT same way your discribling and it ended up being an ignition coil belive it or not. Ask robert at honda that on the forum here he could give you an idea also what to look for but make sure carb is clean, linkage is all good, air filter all good spark plug all the normal stuff. I will tell you that honda coils do not usually go bad as the quality is great but your machine is probably 15-20 years old. Mine would start up cold and run great and i would relase the bbc and empty the bag then i would engage it and it would idle so so low and i would let it cool down for a while then it would fire up and do exact same thing again. COIL for sure. good luck!