HRB215 vs. HRX217HYA

mcarbo

Threads
I own a 13 year old HRB that I love EXCEPT that the highest cut is only 3" and in the summer my lawn needs to be higher to prevent burn. Is it worth the money to upgrade to an HRX and how do the new engines compare to my HRB? The difference in cut height is only 1/2" but I think that might be what I need. I have no idea what I would do with the old mower if I replaced it. Can't imagine someone wanting to buy a 13 year old machine...

Threads
I own a 13 year old HRB that I love EXCEPT that the highest cut is only 3" and in the summer my lawn needs to be higher to prevent burn. Is it worth the money to upgrade to an HRX and how do the new engines compare to my HRB? The difference in cut height is only 1/2" but I think that might be what I need. I have no idea what I would do with the old mower if I replaced it. Can't imagine someone wanting to buy a 13 year old machine...

In my opinion it would be worth it. I don't know what engine the HRB mowers had, but the HRX's have the GCV190 engine, which is 190cc's, and is the most powerful engine on Honda mowers built today. My Honda HRX217HYA can go up to 4.00". And trust me...people would buy your old mower!

mcarbo

Threads
Any idea what a fair asking price for my mower would be?

Threads
Any idea what a fair asking price for my mower would be?

You can see what others are pricing theirs at below:

• $180....Like new Honda HRB-215. 5 HP Self propelledLawn Mower
    (Like new Honda HRB-215. 5 HP Self propelledLawn Mower)
  • $150....I bought the mower new in 2000. It is a high quality product (>$650 at that time). I plan to buy a new Honda mower in the spring. I am selling the mower, grass catcher bag, mulching attachment, and original owner's manual for $150.
    (Honda lawn mower)
    hrb.jpg

mcarbo

Threads
Thanks for the reply. I checked out pricing for the HRX at the dealer. $100 more than a box store. I hate the idea of paying that much more to buy it from a dealer....

Threads
Thanks for the reply. I checked out pricing for the HRX at the dealer. $100 more than a box store. I hate the idea of paying that much more to buy it from a dealer....

If you don't want to spend the extra $100 one thing you might want to consider is buying your Honda HRX from a John Deere dealer. A lot of the JD dealers price their mowers like Home Depot, but you will get the service of a dealer. But sometimes they don't know as much about Honda as the actual Honda dealers, since they are fairly new to the Honda line.

JSB33

Threads

My Honda dealer matched the Home depot price. All I had to do was ask.

dfbrown

Threads

I have owned hrb215,216 and 217s. I had 2 of them that had cracked decks just under where the carb is located and if the dealers around me know well about it as it was a common thing and the dealer i deal with has what we call the graveyard that has some good stuff and some bad stuff and there are a bunch of hrbs with cracked decks there in the same spot.

I would definetely upgrade if your actually considering it as the new one has just to name a few, more hp, newest deck design with green adjustable knob for mulch or bag or dischange so no need to buy a shute, hydro trans is badass, taller wheels which rides nicer over objects and climbs much better up hills and the warranty now on the mower and the deck is lifetime with origional buy (that being you and make sure you or the dealer registers it with honda when you buy one) , mower has auto choke so no need to choke it and the blade design is just a little different from the new ones. As you can see i own a bunch of hrc216s now but the hrx is great and lightweight, great hp and cut quality and mulching is just so good it puts others to shame really. best mulching mower made to date in the world. Seriously. Oh yeah and 4 inch height instead of 3 inch so you can cut tall grass if needed and the motor is an animal in high grass. Here is what you do, go buy it and cut your lawn with it then you can tell us on this forum how bad *** it is and all the rest of it. You could sell your old one for 150-200 bucks if its in decent shape.

Good Luck:thumbsup:

mcarbo

Threads
I just put the HRB on Craigslist. Hopefully I get a buyer.