How would I repower a Snapper Hi-Vac and what with?

LawnBoy97

Threads
A while back I asked if it would be worth it to repair an 86 Snapper Hi-Vac, but now that I have another mower to use I would really like to know how to do it. One guy told me that you couldn't swap out the engines, but I didn't think that that is correct. So have any of you done this before? Thanks.

Snapperfreak

Threads
Yes i have swapped several engines on different snapers i own and have owned. But i would stick with engines that have come off of other snappers, even though most engines probably will line up with the holes in the deck, it's the shaft on the engine that is specific to snappers, particularly self-propelled models. It has the square adapter that the blade attaches to and the part of the shaft that the belt goes around for the drive. Ucan totally swap engines. Find an engine from another snapper, remove the throttle cable from the engine and handlebars, remove the 3 or 4 bolts that hold the engine onto the deck (9/16" i think) and it comes right off. I would check craigslist everyday.

LawnBoy97

Threads
I was looking at PartsTree for my mower and they show that the square piece and the round piece for the self propelled are all separate parts, so does that mean that I could just get an engine and attach those parts or is it more complicated than that? The Model number of my mower is DP21357B, and at Small Engine Warehouse they have a kind of model look up for engines to repower old equipment, but my model number is not listed, so I was wondering if there was a similar model number that may be close to mine. Thanks.

Snapperfreak

Threads
Well I know those parts on the shaft are separate and u can put them on but I personally have never done that. I'm not sure how that all comes apart. That model number sounds pretty new, it's not one I recognize. Maybe if u can get the parts for the shaft and then take it to a shop to put on. I wish I could help u with that but I just don't know how that all comes apart and goes together.

Snapperfreak

Threads
Maybe try model number 21355PD

birkcran

Forum Newbie
Threads
SnapperFreak,

I have a 1986 Snapper 21" Hi Vac with the Wisconsin Robin Wt1-125V. Any ideas on where to get a replacement engine? My understanding is that they are not manufactured any longer.

Recommended replacement engine that will fit the deck if a WR isn't available?

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
SnapperFreak,

I have a 1986 Snapper 21" Hi Vac with the Wisconsin Robin Wt1-125V. Any ideas on where to get a replacement engine? My understanding is that they are not manufactured any longer.

Recommended replacement engine that will fit the deck if a WR isn't available?

You can use a 6.5 Briggs

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

Snapperfreak

Threads
Yes, sadly the Wisconsin Robins have long since been produced. I would search Craigslist everyday for another 125 but almost any Briggs, Honda, Kawasaki or Tecumseh motor will fit on there. It would be easiest to use an engine off of another snapper though since the shaft will be the correct length and be set up for the self propell belt. If u can't find another 125 on cl or eBay my next hope would be an old Briggs 13-series 5hp I/C engine. Heck, or a WR 145 or 185. Those are all 4-cycle engines though. Is it not possible to repair your 125? There's lots of parts available online, mainly on eBay but parts tree should have some too.

bwdbrn1

Threads
I put a Honda GCV160 on one I had a few years ago. The pulley for the belt and blade adaptor bolted right on. The flywheel brake cable was different, so I had to adapt a different way to hold it to the handle bars, but otherwise it was a straight bolt on.