How to start lawn over with new grass

derekeh83

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm in the process of building a garage. It has my back and side yard in a mess. After the backhoe work is done in going to sow grass but I'm wondering if I would be better off to kill my existing grass... A mixture of Bermuda grass and other types... And start it over fresh. Any opinions on this or the best way to go about it? By the way I am in southeastern Kentucky. Most of the lawn is not shaded and gets a fair amount of water.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
If it were me I would till the whole sections. Hard rake the big chunks out, spread some seed (proper for area and conditions), the roll level would be a good days work

Elle

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yep! I recommend you to start from scratch. Here is what you should do:

Step 1: Kill the bad lawn by spraying weed killer. After a week, spray again should small weeds started to grow.
Step 2: In 5 days or a week, mow the dead grass at their maximum short length and remove the clippings.
Step 3: Use a dethatcher and run over the dead lawn in two directions. Make sure that the machine runs low for the blades come in contact with the soil.
Step 4: Rake up the unwanted grass and weeds then slather a layer of lawn soil to areas that are too low or over excavated.
Step 5: After a day, seed your lawn with a product of your choice. Seeders vary according to the site of the grass. The grassed area may be a full-sun, shade tolerant, heat tolerant, and even encountering heavy traffic like car loads or pedestrian traffic.
Step 6: Distribute the fertiliser on the soil the same day when you seeded it over.
Step 7: Start watering it a couple of times per day for a number of weeks.
Step 8: Carefully mow the brand new lawn. The recommended mowing height is approximately 2 and a half inches.
Step 9: After a month after you seeded the lawn, drizzle your lawn with a é¼*awn food to enhance its ability to absorb water and nutrients, prohibit weed growth as well as protect it from future lawn issues.

ENJOY YOUR NEW LAWN!! I hope this helps.

mboss9

Forum Newbie
Threads
It's easier just to buy or rent a tiller. They are easy to use, and will make quick work of the old grass/area.

NadRash

Threads
Rent!!! Check out the Classen Seed Slicers! They work great and no need to completely till entire yard. Best time to use Seed slicer is the fall but spring is ok

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
There is another method... I dont know if you will like it tho. Spread 7-10 sheets of news paper (or more) all over the sectio you want to redo. Add 30 cm of dirt over the news paper and law sod or seeds. Enjoy!