How to start FH721V

Nod

Threads
I bought a used ferris 1500z with a kawasaki 25 horse motor. When i bought it had already been cranked and warmed up. After getting it home I found out it is hard to get running. Put new plugs in, changed the oil and cleaned the air filter, it looked new. The plugs were in bad shape. When I start it, I put the throttle in the middle and turn the key. Will not start so I pull the choke and have to crank on it 5 or 6 times before it will start. It blows out a little smoke that I think is flood smoke. It runs fine after it starts, no smoke or miss at all. Is this normal for a cold start, should I put the throttle wide open and choke it? Thanks for any help.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
The briggs on my JD is a little difficult to start when cold so I built a primer port to prime it with about a thimble of gasoline directly into the carburetor throat opening and it makes a world of difference.

Being your engine has a constant speed governor, at cranking RPM the throttle plate is always at wide open throttle no matter where you position the throttle lever. Where you position the throttle lever only determines how fast the engine runs immediately after it starts.