Leaves how to properly use Honda HRX217K5VKA for leaves and grass?

Jon I

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / how to properly use Honda HRX217K5VKA for leaves and grass?
After raking up nearly 40, 55 g bags of leaves last year and the fact that I'm not getting any younger, I decided to upgrade my mower to one that would specifically handle the task. After reading the many reviews, I decided on the Honda HRX217K5VKA. However, unless I'm not doing something right, I wasn't too happy with it's second time performance yesterday for handling either tall, wet crab grass (8" high) or a coating of leaves on the ground from one of my trees.

I deliberately allowed my one section of the yard, plagued with crab grass, to get a little higher than usual just to test out this new mower. After it reached about 8", I hauled out the Honda and proceeded to mow it yesterday. It was quite wet and thick. The mower started off ok, but it stalled several times and I had to restart. There seemed to be grass building up and stopping the blades. I had the setting two notches away from total mulch. After I stalled and restarted it 3-4 times, I got the job done but actually proceeded by not using the self propel (I just gripped the blade bar and let the self propel grip alone). What was I doing wrong here? I would have thought it should have plowed through this section of yard without any difficulty.

I'd also like to find out the ideal set up for leaves? I know I didn't do this right either, again not moving the setting --two notches away from mulch. Leaves were ground up somewhat and redeposited, but certainly not to the level I read about in the reviews.

I did not use the bag for any of these tasks. Perhaps I should have, not sure. Just trying to keep things simple and figure this all out before the leaves really start coming down.

Thanks for any help,
Jon

dcgrazier

Threads
If I read your post correctly, you were trying to mulch mow your lawn. Tall wet grass does not mulch mow well. I believe mulch mowing should be done more frequently than either discharge or bag/collection mowing. All of the clippings and leaves have no place to go but down and the blades are throwing the clippings up. The clippings that do come down will clump and make wind rows. I mow at my church with a similar Honda mower that only mulch mows and it clogs and stalls if the grass is tall and wet. I often take my old Lawnboy with side discharge to mow the tall wet grass.

If you have tall grass and want to mulch mow, wait until the grass dries and then do two mowings. The first mowing should be at the highest cut height of the mower and then set the mower to the desired height and mow it again. I think you will experience better results.

speedyflip

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have the same mower. Yes, it does very well mulching with the dual blade system, but mowing that high and wet of grass will definitely make it stall. When customers have me mow long wet grass, I either have to bag or side discharge. The problem with bagging with wet grass is that it is heavy which causes it to bag poorly.

If you are wondering how to side discharge with that mower, just set it to the bagging setting and take off the bag. Grass will spray out the back. Yes it will make a mess the first time. Once you get it short, you can mulch it.

I hope this helped.