How to get valve spring retainer off exhaust valve of 8HP Briggs Flathead engine? Pic

308GTS

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / How to get valve spring retainer off exhaust valve of 8HP Briggs Flathead engine? Pic
HI guys I am going to lap my valves and check valve clearances. I was able to remove the intake valve in 2 seconds. Compressed it and moved the retainer over a little bit and it was out. I can't figure out how to get the retainer off the exhaust valve. The retainer looks different to me than the other one. Does anyone know how to get it off? It has an extra piece that cups around what I thought was the retaining clip but I can't find any slots in it. I am including a pic also. Exhaust valve is the one at the bottom in the pic. The bottom valve retainer is the one I can't remove. Thanks so much.

Attachments

• DSC05296.JPG
    DSC05296.JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 18
  • DSC05298.JPG
    DSC05298.JPG
    105.3 KB · Views: 21

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / How to get valve spring retainer off exhaust valve of 8HP Briggs Flathead engine? Pic
The bottom one is different to the top and will be held in with 2 colets.
You have compress the spring and with a magnet pull the colets out and then pull the valve out.
You need a valve spring compression tool.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
What he said. You will need to compress the valve spring, and sometimes the rotator at the bottom doesn't want to come loose so may still take a little prying up on the rotator to get it to come loose from the half moon collet retainer system. Just did one today in the shop. Did two yesterday on a Kohler K241.

Mike88se

Threads
And it's even more fun getting them back on :cool:

308GTS

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks guys. Once the spring is compressed the collets come out of the top or bottom?

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The collets come out from under the rotator on the bottom of the spring. Will be much more fun to reinstall. I have a compressor that holds the spring compressed, put a little grease on the inside of the collet half, sit it on the blade of a flat screwdriver, and insert it into place, and then do the same with the other half. You will drop them about half a dozen times, and you will get one half in place, and then knock it out trying to install the other half.