how to charge

tybilly

Threads
I haven't worked in a shop since 2002,ive been trying to get a part time ope repair shop going at my house its just been family and friends and a couple neighbors,but I hear sad stories, playing on my heart,and I end up taking a hit on labor and making less on parts,although I want the word of mouth to get out,i would like to make some extra cash,any suggestions would be appreciated,you can inbox me thanks Ty,

okiepc

Threads
The sad stories can only go so far. You are in business to make money, that is the bottom line, if you make no money then you close your doors and everyone loses. Be fair but be smart business wise, kin will be the first to take advantage of your kindness, just remember it is a business. :thumbsup:

Mikel1

Threads
I understand your trying to help people but I would be careful because people will take advantage of you in a second. If people know they can get a better deal by telling their sob story then they will. At the end of the day, sad stories don't pay the bills.

tybilly

Threads
thanks,i appreciate your comments,so you've heard them all too?

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
I haven't worked in a shop since 2002,ive been trying to get a part time ope repair shop going at my house its just been family and friends and a couple neighbors,but I hear sad stories, playing on my heart,and I end up taking a hit on labor and making less on parts,although I want the word of mouth to get out,i would like to make some extra cash,any suggestions would be appreciated,you can inbox me thanks Ty,

You can always tell them a higher price.. listen to their story then give them a lower price (the real one) they feel like theve gotten a deal and you don't lose money.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Develop a quick and effective diagnostic system, refine it as you move ahead. This way you can quickly inform the customer whomever they may be, family or otherwise, with a diagnosis and a charge for this service. At this time you can give them an estimate but what ever you come up with, double it. This way you weed out the serious customers from the cheapos right up front. When you have to stop what you are doing, research parts and prices, and then run out for the parts you spend a lot of time that you need to be compensated for.
My portable diagnostic box has compression gauges with adapters for 10-18MM spark plugs, a leakdown tester, several spark checkers, a capacitor tester, multimeter, non contact tachometer, inductive tachometer, an inductive pickup timing light and other misc items. I have a portable air compressor that I can take out on the road to operate the leakdown tester. I also have a small tip flexible light so I can look into cylinders. I also have two portable tool boxes the contents of which to a few years to develop.
But bottom line, you gotta collect money for your services. I charge a full hour or more for pick and delivery of a machine whether it is repaired or not.
Mad Mackie in CT

Brucebotti

Threads
I agree with the others. If you are too nice, people will take advantage. I think if you are fair and honest, you will build up a good customer base. Most people, like myself, just want to get what we pay for. Good luck in whatever you decide!
Bruce