How to adjust valves on B&S turbo twin cylinder mower?

SidecarFlip

Threads
  • / How to adjust valves on B&S turbo twin cylinder mower?
People run the bags off old lawn mowers and then sell them... Always expect to replace belts, idlers, spindles and other consumable parts. Belts especially only last a short tome.

Threads
I honestly always feel I can do most things as long as I have some decent instruction, and especially a video. How can I tell if the bearings are actually bad? Will there be an especially noticeable wobble? How hard is it?

Spin them by hand and if you hear any noise it's bad or on it's way out.... They are supposed to be super quiet........ ~!~!

BuddyC1

Threads
Ok I got the deck off and both the deck and drive belt could definitely stand replacing. The small idler pulley on the right is the only one that I can hear with what sounds like bad bearings. It's rumbly sounding and if I give it a good spin it doesn't stop for a 7-8 seconds while the other idler stops after about 3 seconds and sounds quiet. The bad apparently bad one has a small bit of wobble. but not so bad that I would imagine it causing the belt to jump, but at very high speed it may act different from what I imagine. If the idler bearings are bad at all, would that typically cause it to jump? Doesn't seem to hard at all to replace that idler, is it? Also, what it the cheapest source for the deck and drive belt for this mower?

IMG_8115.jpgIMG_8118.jpg

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
One of those idlers is the tensioner. Should be mounted on a moveable arm with a pretty hefty spring on it. Should be able to swing it around some. Could be bound up and not working like it should. A bit of cleaning and some grease might fix the problem. (?)

BuddyC1

Threads
I took it to a couple of shops for examination and neither thought the pulleys were in bad enough shape to cause much of a problem. I ordered both the drive and deck belts and am awaiting their arrival. I am going to clean the pulleys and lube them... can I just spray wd or use 3-1 oil and is there a proper lube them or can I just go to town spraying them as long as I don't get it on the inside pulley tracks?

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you can't find a grease fitting on the pulley, don't lube it. It probably has sealed bearings. You could slop oil on that kind of pulley until you're blue in the face and none of it will get to where you think it should go. All you'll accomplish is getting oil where it shouldn't be.

Tinkerer200

Threads
If you can't find a grease fitting on the pulley, don't lube it. It probably has sealed bearings. You could slop oil on that kind of pulley until you're blue in the face and none of it will get to where you think it should go. All you'll accomplish is getting oil where it shouldn't be.

Farm supply stores generally have a needle attachment with a grease zerk on one end which snaps to your grease gun and the needle is inserted carefully between the seal and inner race to lube dry bearings. I use it often and drill a tinny hole in metal clad seals and insert the needle thru the hole then seal with silicone. Saved lots of bearings that way.

Walt Conner